Thursday, July 17, 2008

Chapter 8

"Uhhh...hello," Sidney said after an awkward silence.
"Hello again," I said.
"I was umm...I was expecting you to be..."
"To be what, Sidney? Impressed? Well I'm not."
"No. I was expecting you to be alone. Who might this little guy be?"
"This is my son."
"Son! I remember Alex being alot bigger than that."
"That's because this is not Alex. This is my younger son Jake. Jake come here please. Jake this is Sidney Crosby."
"It's a pleasure to meet you Jake," Sid said.
"Nice to meet you too," Jake said politely. "Mom, can I watch the rest of the highlights please?"
"Sure sweet pea."
Sid had poked his head out the door for a minute before returning.
"Wow. He was totally unimpressed there," Sid chuckled.
"Do you honestly believe that everyone just can't wait to meet the great Sidney Crosby?"
"No, not at all. It's just...refreshing."
"Well good. I hate to tell you Crosby, but contrary to popular belief, you are not the centre of everyone's universe," I said only half jokingly.
"I know! You have made that painfully clear!" he said laughing. "Jake sure is a chip off the old block. You don't have any other kids that are going to pop up somewhere and take me down a notch do you?"
"'Fraid not. That's it. I just have the 2 boys."

Just then, Nate came back into the room with a jersey in his hands. Sid pulled a sharpie out of his suit jacket and signed it for Jake. Sid went over to the couch where Jake had made himself at home and sat down beside him.
"Hey buddy, I signed one of these for your brother, so here's one for you too."
"Wow, thanks!" and before I knew it Jake threw his arms around Sid's neck and gave him a great big hug. The kid does not have a shy bone in his body (unlike his mother).
"No problem, anytime."
"Thank you Sidney, but you really didn't have to do that."
"Yes I did. You have to be fair," he said smiling at me.
I was looking into those gorgeous brown eyes, lost in my own little world, when Nate's voice snapped me back into reality.
"Sorry to interupt Mr. Crosby, but your father is looking for you."
"Thanks Nate. I'll be right there, just keep him in the lounge." He turned to me with a slight look of disappointment in those beautiful eyes. "I have to get going, but you fascinate me. I've only met ou twice and each time you have surprised me. I'd really like to get to know you better."
Out of nowhere my mouth spoke before I had a chance to stop myself.
"Why did you ask me to come back here? And how did Nate know where to find me?"
A devilish grin spread across Sidney's face. "I do have a few connections around here ya know. If you agree to have coffee with me, I would gladly tell you the story."
Oh shit! Did Sidney Crosby just ask me out? Get a hold of your self girl. Stay calm.
"I'm uhh...flattered, really I am, but I don't think that would be a very good idea. I'm very busy and you're very busy..."
"You realize that I don't take no for an answer."
"So I hear. I'm afraid this time you'll have to. I need to get Jake home to bed and you need to meet your dad. Thank you so much for everything, it was really great of you to take time to talk to us. Congratulatons on the shootout, it was amazing!"
I extended my arm to shake his hand. He grasped my hand firmly and said "I think we are a little beyond handshakes don't you?"
Before I could say anything Sidney was pulling me into the most incredible hug I ever had the pleasure of experiencing. I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply making sure to savour every last bit of his scent. He was far to tall for my arms to reach his neck so I wrapped my arms around his waist and let my hands rest on his back. OH MY GOD!!! I could feel every muscle in his back tense and then relax. SHIT! Get a hold of yourself Bekah! I started to pull away and he stopped me. He bent down and whispered in my ear, "I told you I don't take no for an answer. Maybe not now, but soon," and as he began to let me pull away, he placed the softest kiss on my cheek.
I was a puddle! He smiled as he made his way towards the door.
"We'll talk soon. Sweet dreams."
The sound of Jake's voice brought me back to reality.
"Mom, can we go home, I'm tired."
"Yeah...sure."
"What's up with you mom? You look...i dunno. Weird."
"Hmmm? I'm fine. Let's get you home to bed sweet pea."
Nate escorted us out of the building and to the parking lot, where mine was practically the only car left.
"I hope you had a nice night Miss Jones," Nate said with a bit of a coy smile. "Have a safe drive home."
"Thanks Nate. And please, call me Bekah."

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Sidney is so freakin' cute! (Well, you already knew that). I love this chapter - can't wait for updates! :)

Ti Amo said...

I am LOVING this story...please keep updating!