Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Chapter 14

"So...was that the Bekah?" Mario asked when Sid returned to say goodnight. He had told Mario about her after the disappointing day at her house. He was crazy about her and needed to talk to someone. Sid recounted every minute he had spent with Bekah, leaving nothing out. Mario has promised Sid he would not say anything to Troy on the condition that Sidney remained focused on hockey and not her.
"The very one. I had no idea she worked here, I ran into on the elevator. So....?"
"So what?"
"Oh come on Mar! What did you think?"
Mario chuckled at Sid's exuberance. He was like a little kid waiting for daddy's approval.
"Well...your description really did not do her justice. She's beautiful, even in those scrubs. And she has clearly been blessed with brains as well. I can see why you're smitten."
Sid was relieved. He knew Mario wasn't done yet though. He felt a 'but' coming on.
"But?" Sid prompted.
"But, you need to be careful here Sid. She is not like the other girls you meet. She is obviously strong-willed and capable of taking care of herself. She's not going to follow you around like a lost puppy. And she is definitely not going to put up with any of your shit."
"I know. That's what I love about her!"
And with that, Sid said goodnight and told Mario not to worry.
***************
"Ready to go beautiful?" Sid said as he appeared at her side.
"I was ready to go about 6 hours ago," I said with half a drowsy smile. Sid looked a little confused. "I'm sorry Sid. I'm coming off a 16 hour shift and I am simply exhausted. Pay no attention to anything I say and I apologize in advance if I offend you."
"Well it wouldn't be the first time," he said smiling.
"Ha ha very funny!"
The elevator doors closed behind him and for the first time since the day at her house, they were alone together.
Sid's expression softened as he looked into my eyes. "You were pretty incredible tonight," he said quietly.
"Why? Because I could read a medical chart? That's my job Sidney, nothing incredible about it."
"Not just that. I was a little surprised that you even agreed to help me given the circumstances. You will never know how much it means to me. I was really starting to worry. Thank you."
Those brown eyes burning into mine were hypnotizing. 'Stay in control," I told myself.
"What can I say. I just wanted to meet Mario!" I joked in an effort to lighten the mood.
"Oh, I see how it works! Who cares about the guy who's scared to death as long as you get to meet Mario. It's always about Mario!"" he said laughing.
"Well he is 'Le Magnifique'!"
The doors opened to the lobby and we stepped out still giggling. "Where did you park?" Sid asked.
"Seriously Sid, you don't have to walk me to my car."
"It's the least I can do for the beautiful nurse who saved me from what would have been a sleepless night."
"Alright," I said shaking my head, "out the doors and to the far left."
The sliding doors opened and the first thing I noticed was the smell of the fresh snow that was falling. I stopped for a moment, closed my eyes and inhaled deeply.
"Are you ok?" Sid asked.
"Mmmm. Perfect. I love the smell of fresh snow. It's almost as good as..." I stopped.
"Almost as good as what?"
I hesitated. "Almost as good as the smell of a clean sheet of ice," I said looking down at the ground.

Sid stared at me in disbelief. " Clean ice is one of my favourite smells! I've never met anyone who felt the same way. Most people don't even realize ice has it's own distinct smell!"
"I grew up in arenas too," I said quietly not wanting to elaborate.
"Really? I didn't really picture you as a figure skater!"
"I wasn't."
Just as Sid was about to reply, he stepped down off the curb and landed flat on that beautifully sculpted butt of his! I burst out laughing so hard I almost couldn't breathe.
"Mr. Hockey couldn't handle a little ice in the parking lot?" I finally managed to say. "Maybe you should just keep your skates on Crosby!"
Sid managed a smirk as he got up to his feet. He wrinkled his nose before he too started to laugh at his own expense. He brushed himself off and then offered me his arm.
"What are you doing?", I asked.
"Well we wouldn't want you to repeat my stellar performance. I'll help you get over the ice." All I could think of in that moment was what a true gentleman he was. When most grown men would have been embarrassed or disgusted with themselves this kid was worried about me!
I linked my arm with his and we started to make our way across the nearly empty parking lot. I could feel the pure strength in his arm as he tensed his muscles to give me something sturdy to hang on to. Was there anything wrong with this guy? Seriously! Could he be more perfect? I soon got my answer.
"Well, this is me," I said as I unlocked my door with the remote. Without letting go of my arm, Sid slid in front of me and opened my door.
"Do you have a snow brush?" he asked.
"Excuse me?"
"Snow brush? Do you have one?"

"This is Pittsburgh," I retorted.
"Well, smart ass, can I have it then?"
"Why, don't you have one of your own?"
"Why do you have to be so difficult?" he said smirking. "I just want to clean off your car for you."
I handed him the brush and got in to start the car to let it warm up. When he was done, he gently tapped on my window. I opened the door and got out.
"There you go, you're all set!" he said looking proud of himself.
"Thank you, but you really..." he cut me off.
"You really have to work on losing the 'but'. Just Thank you will do."
"Thank you," I replied sheepishly.
"Now, Do you have a cell phone?"
"Of course!"
"May I see it please?"
"What for?"
"Has anyone ever told you you ask too many questions? Just give me the damn thing!"
I handed him my phone. He started pushing alot of buttons.
"What are you doing?"
"Just give me a minute."
"Just give me my phone!"
"There, done. Here," he said handing the phone back to me. "I programed my cell number in there. Promise me that you will call me to let me know that you got home ok. It's getting late and the roads are slippery. You cured one worry for me tonight, I don't want to have to worry about you."
Wow! This guy is slick!
"I'll be fine. I make this drive every night and so far so good!"
"Must you be so stubborn?"
"Yes, it's my nature!" I said batting my eyelashes at him.
"Cute. Very cute! Need I remind you that I know where you live and if you don't call me when you get home you will be forcing me to leave the warmth of my own house to go back out in the cold and drive all the way over to your house just to check for myself?"
"Well we definitely don't want a penguin to go back out in the cold now do we!"
Sidney just shook his head. "You think you're sooooooooo funny don't you?"
"You have to admit, I am quite impressive!"
"In more ways than you know. Now without the sarcasm, promise me you'll call."
"You drive a hard bargain Crosby! Fine. I will call."
I went to get back into the car and he gently grabbed my arm. I turned to look at him and he pulled me into his strong embrace once again. My entire body was overcome with the most incredible tingling sensation. His voice was almost inaudible as he whispered in my ear. "You were amazing tonight. I was really scared and you helped put my mind at ease. I can't thank you enough."
"You just did," I whispered back.
He kissed my forehead and opened the door for me once again.
"Drive safely," he said. "And don't forget..."
"Call you when I get home. I promise."

3 comments:

Tay Tay said...

I LOVE THIS STORY!

You are a terrific writer, and I like how you do two POV's at the same time... I love. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Lauren said...

This chapter was soooo good! I love their sarcasm and their total cuteness! Update soon please!

Anonymous said...

Keep it up, girl! This story is soo awesome. Post soon, please :)