Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Chapter 6

I tried to get into the dull, daily routine that was my life. Take the kids to school, go to work, pick the kids up at the neighbour's after work, make dinner and then drop! It was the same day in and day out amd it was exhausting. The only difference in routine were game nights. I would never miss them. I would take Lily with me most of the time, sometimes other friends or co-workers. At first, after every game was over Sidney would always skate around my end of the ice. He tried not to look obvious, but you could tell he was looking for someone. It was the fourth home game when he actually spotted me. He glanced by me and then did a double take. When our eyes met, he was so shocked he nearly hit the boards, but never broke our eye contact. When he regained his composure, he gave me that goofy little grin of his and winked at me. I felt my cheeks getting flushed. What the hell was that? I don't get embarrassed that easily. I smiled back then grabbed Lily's hand and got the hell outof there!

"Oh my god Bekah! Sidney Crosby just smiled and winked at you!"
I did not reply. I was lost in my own thoughts. He didn't wait around at the end of the games looking for me did he? Of course not. The guy has better things to do. But it was always in front of my section, the section his dad had found me in. 'You're and idiot,' I thought to myself. 'Sidney Crosby is an 18 year old kid, not to mention one of the most amazing professional athletes on the planet, he is certainly not hanging around looking for someone like you after the games.'

Lily rambled on non stop about "the wink" all the way home. Thank god it wasn't a very long drive.
"You should try and get in contact with him," she said matter of factly.
"For Christ sake Lily," I finally said. "We have been over and over this! Sidney Crosby does not have a thing for me and I do not have a thing for him. I'm sure the smile was just a courtesy thing. Not to mention all the reasons why I would not or could not ever have a relationship with Sidney fucking Crosby, so can we please drop this subject? If you so much as say his name in any context that does not involve the game of hockey itself, I swear I will never take you to another game, understood?"
"Oookaaaayyyy! Jeez Bek, for someone with no feelings for the kid, it sure is a touchy subject! Alright, I'll stop pushing. But Bek, in all seriousness, whether it's Sidney Crosby or some random guy you meet at the grocery store, you really need to think about getting out there and dating again. It's been 6 years already. Don't you think it's time?"
"NO."
"Come on Bek..."
"This is not up for debate Lil. You know how I feel about the subject. Alex and Jake are the only men I need in my life, end of discussion."

No comments: