Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Chapter 5 - Reality Check

I had to listen to Alex all the way home. The kid was on cloud 9. When we were finally home, Alex ran into the house straight to Lily (who had been babysitting Jake) and told her what happened. Lily looked at me in total disbelief. I told her I'd explain after I got Alex in bed. I went in to give Jake a kiss and then tucked Alex in. He was still wearing his jersey. I returned to the livingroom and flopped on the couch.

"What the hell?" Lily said.
I just shook my head in partial disbelief myself.
"Oh now is not the time to be your secretive self," said Lily.
"I don't really know what to say Lil. I'm having a hard time believing it happened."

I started to tell her about my emotions overcoming me when I saw Mario.

"Screw Lemiex! What was Sidney like?"
"Nice."
"Nice? Nice? That's all I get?"
"What do you want Lil?
"Iwant to live vicariously through you. I want to hear how fucking sexy Sidney Crosby was in person. I want every detail right down to what he smelled like."
I sighed. "Well... he is much better looking than I thought he would be. He still looks VERY young though. He's tall, probably 6 or 7 inches taller than me. He was wearing a dark suit with a light blue shirt and blue tie. The blue REALLY made his eyes sparkle. Blue and brown are complimentary colours you know. And he smelled fantastic! He has a very strong, confident handshake. But it was those eyes that..." my thought trailed off.
"Helloooooo? Earth to Bekah? Did he remember who you were?"
"Hmm? Oh yeah, I think so. The look on his face was priceless when his dad told him I was Alex's mother! I thought hel was going to fall over."
"You have got to be the luckiest bitch on the planet! So truth time. You're hot for him aren't you?"
"Lily, we have been over this before. He is just 18! Even if I were hot for him that is bordering on illegal! Technically, he can't even go into a bar yet! And even if we were going to have this great love story like you have so obviously dreamed up, I'm sure it all came crashing down when he found out I was somebody's mother. And that's just Alex, he doesn't even know about Jake yet. Listen to me. You've got me talking like this whole nightmare is real. Like I know the guy personally. Sidney Crosby is nothing to me. He's just some guy who signed an autograph for my kid."
"Yeah, and I'm the queen of England. You keep telling yourself that Sidney is nothing to you, maybe you'll even start to believe it. You have to open up sometime Bek. It's late, I should go. I'll see you at work tommorrow."
"Thanks for watching Jake. She you in the morning."

My mind was racing as I lay in bed trying to go to sleep. Was I imagining things or was there really some sort of connection between me and Sidney? It certainly felt like it. What I had failed to tell Lily was the electricity that ran through my body when Sid and I shook hands. And my god! Those eyes. I felt like my legs were turning into puddles when I looked into those gorgeous eyes. NO! STOP IT! You need a reality check girl! I was not prepared to have these feelings I was having. And why the hell was an 18 year old kid affecting me like this? You have rules and standards for a reason Bekah. I was still pretty emotionally wrecked from my marriage to and divorce from Jeff. Those years had been hell. I promised myself that I would not ever put myself in a situation like that again. The best way to make sure of that was to not date, and I haven't. I was doing just fine too...until now.

No comments: