I woke up at 7 the next morning feeling refreshed and completely relaxed, both feelings I hadn't felt in a very long time. I went to check on the boys and both of them were in the exact same positions that Sidney and I had left them in the night before. I went to the kitchen and put a pot of coffee on, then headed for the shower. As I was drying off I heard the phone ring and my heart instantly sank (an instinctual reaction when the phone rings at odd hours). I wrapped the towel around myself and ran for the phone.
"Hello?"
"Bekah, it's Nancy. I didn't wake you did I?"
"Oh no, I was just getting out of the shower."
"Well I won't keep you long, I was just calling to let you know that we need you at Children's today instead of
Presbyterian. We have a one year old boy being admitted and his parents are not handling the situation very well. You are the best nurse there is at dealing with the distraught families so we thought it would be best if you were here. Cheryl has already covered your shift at Pres."
"What is his diagnosis?"
Nancy paused and let out a long sigh before replying. She knew the reason I had become a nurse was because of David's battle with cancer.
"Leukemia. Stage 2 progression."
David's disease. "I see. And the parents?"
"Dad is in complete denial and all mom does is cry. You're really going to need to work your magic with these ones Bekah. Are you all right with this?"
"I'll be fine. I'll see you at 11."
'Great', I thought as I hung up the phone. My good mood just turned more bleak. This was the worst part of the job. I loved working with the families to help them through the process, but seeing the innocent children suffering through these horrible diseases broke my heart. I also knew that getting a new family settled was not a job that fit into a specific time period. There was now no guarantee of what time I might be home tonight.
*******************************************
True to form, Sidney showed up just before 10.
"Hey beautiful! You're rockin' the purple scrubs today eh?"
'He's one to talk', I thought to myself as he sat down at the counter. He was wearing black Reebok warm up pants and a red hooded sweatshirt (also Reebok). The beginnings of his black curls peeked out from under the black Reebok hat he was wearing and I noticed for once there was no product in his hair. 'Much better. He looks pretty damn good rockin' the more casual look!'
"Umm slight change of plans," I said snapping out of my thoughts.
"That doesn't sound good. What's up?" Sid asked.
"I have to go to Children's today instead of Presbyterian," I began. "There's a new patient being admitted and they need me to deal with his family. They're understandably not handling his diagnosis very well."
"And they need you specifically?"
"They seem to think that I'm the best to deal with difficult families because of my personal experiences."
"Well, I guess it's kind of an honour then huh?"
"If you choose to call it that. I wish I didn't have the experience."
"Sorry, I didn't mean that the way it sounded. I just think it's pretty impressive that you've turned such a painful experience into something positive for so many other people. You're pretty remarkable Beks."
"Not really, I just try and do my job."
"So, how does this change the plan anyways?"
"There's no set time table when you're admitting a new family. You kind of have to be there as long as they need you to be, at least I like to be, so I can't really tell you what time I'll be home tonight."
"Not a problem! I'll be fine until you get home."
"Are you sure 'cause the boys can still go over to the Parker's if it's too much for you. It could be late when I get back?"
"We'll be fine. I got it all under control," he said smirking.
"That's what I'm afraid of!"
Sid held his hand up to his heart like he'd been wounded. "That hurt!"
Just then Alex and Jake came running into the kitchen and immediately tackled Sidney to the ground. "Sid!!!! What are you doing here?"
"Hey guys," Sid said getting up to his feet with Jake over his shoulder and Alex wrapped around a leg. "I am going to hang out with you today while your mom goes to work if that's ok with you?"
"Seriously?" they both looked at me with pleading eyes. "We don't have to go to Mrs. Parker's today?"
"Not today," I said.
"Yes! Whoo hoo!" they both ran around the livingroom high-fiving each other before they finally settled onto the couch to watch cartoons.
"Looks like we just made their day," Sid said smiling at me.
"Looks like. Okay, ready for the run down?" I asked him.
"Do I need to write this down Drill Sargent?"
"No smart ass, I'm sure you're capable of remembering all by yourself! Okay, so they are not to watch t.v. or play video games for the whole day. An hour or two is okay but then they need to take a break. I'm big on them reading books or playing games. Jake has a ton of Lego and will probably sit in his room for hours and build stuff. Alex will surely try to talk you into letting him go on the computer so he can chat with his friends. An hour is okay, but check on him often. If you see anything inappropriate kick him off. They are capable of making their own lunch and as for dinner, I don't know. Give them Kraft Dinner or something. You do know how to make Kraft Dinner don't you?"
"I think I can figure it out."
"Don't worry Sid. I'll show you," Alex piped up.
"No junk food. There are snacks in the cupboard by the fridge that they can choose from for their snack before bed. Hopefully I'll be home before then. Just in case I'm not, Jake goes to bed at 8:30 and Alex at 9:00. They can watch an hour of t.v. before bed and you'll have to remind them to brush their teeth. The phone number and my extension number is on the fridge along with the Parker's number. If you need anything, don't be afraid to call them. I think that covers everything."
"I think I should of wrote this down," Sid said chuckling.
"It's too much for you isn't it? They can still go next door and..."
"Beks, I was kidding. We'll be fine I promise."
"Are you sure?"
"Positive. Now go to work and be a rock star!"
"I'll call to check on you. And I'll let you know what time I'm going to be home as soon as I know."
"No worries. We'll be fine. Now go!"
"If you're sure. Boys come here. Now, behave yourselves while I'm gone. Sid knows all the rules so don't try any funny stuff. And listen to what he tells you, got it?"
"Yep," they said in unison. I gave them both a hug and kiss and grabbed my coat and work bag.
"Are you sure you're ready for this?" I asked him one last time.
"I'm sure. If something happens the number's 9-1-1 right?"
"Not funny," I said walking to my car.
"Oh come on, it's a little funny," Sid yelled after me.
"I'll call you later."
2 comments:
Fabulous, as usual, and I can't wait to find out how both of their days go...
So freakin cute! Hope her day goes well, and that she comes home and her night with Sid goes even better ;-)
More soon, please!
Post a Comment