My stomach suddenly felt like it was doing somersaults. This is exactly what I was afraid of, I give an inch and he tries to take a mile.
"Sidney, I don't think that would be a very good idea."
"Why not? You could use some help with that tree couldn't you?"
"That's what the boys are here for and besides, Lily is coming for dinner and to help."
"Ahhh, the famous Lily! Great, then I will finally get to meet her."
"Sid, really, the kids will have homework, we have to have dinner and..."
"I should hope so! I'm starving! Somebody couldn't take a breather from shopping long enough to have lunch! What's on the menu?"
"You are not staying," I said trying to be assertive.
"After dragging me through all those stores and making me carry all those heavy bags, you're going to kick me out and not even feed me for a hard day of labour? C'mon, we can order pizza and get that tree up."
"Crying me a pathetic attempt at a sob story and trying to make me feel guilty is not going to change my mind. You had fair warning about what the day was going to be like."
"True," he said looking at his watch. "Too bad we don't have time for a debate. You're going to be late picking up the boys if we don't get going."
"We? There is no we. I am going and you are not."
"Yes I am. Let's go. I hate being late."
"When did you get to be the boss of me?"
"When you made me go in all those girly stores and then carry the bags."
"Funny. You can't just show up at a public school unannounced, it would cause mass hysteria."
"That's why were taking your car, tinted windows, less conspicuous. And I promise I will not exit the vehicle."
I just rolled my eyes and shook my head. "Ya know, you can just as easily get into your car instead of mine," I said closing the front door behind me.
"I'm starting to get the feeling you don't want me around," he said only half jokingly. If you want me to leave just say so."
'Of course I don't,' I wanted to scream, but that's not what came out.
"Whatever, I don't have time to argue."
"I win!"
"Does everything have to be a competition with you?"
I already knew the answer to that question.
****************************************************************
"Before you guys get in the car, I need to tell you something," I said walking out of the school with Alex and Jake.
"What?" they asked in unison.
"I have a friend with me and they will be joining us for dinner and to help decorate the tree."
"Duh mom! We already know Lily's coming over," Alex said in that sarcastic tone.
"It's not Lily. Well Lily is still coming but it's someone else."
"Who?"
"You guys can't freak out and this in no way means you get out of doing your homework and chores."
They were both looking at me with confused looks on their faces. Jake wrinkled his nose just like I did when I was confused and Alex bit his lower lip like I did when I was nervous (something I'd been doing alot more of lately).
"Just tell us!"
"Do you remember meeting Sidney Crosby a while ago?"
Stupid question!
"That was only like the best day of my life!" shouted Alex. Jake just shook his head up and down.
"Well, he and I have become friends and..."
"Are you serious? Are you telling us that Sidney Crosby...THE Sidney Crosby is going to be at our house?"
"Alex, keep your voice down," I warned. "Yes, as a matter of fact he's waiting in the car, but guys you have to understand something. Sidney is not like you and me. He is a very famous person and that means people, sometimes not very nice people want to know what he's doing all the time and if they know where he is they will follow him everywhere he goes. So it's very important that this stays our little secret for now. You can't go tell all your friends that you were hanging out with Sidney Crosby. Do you understand?"
"But mommy, you said secrets were bad," Jake said with his mere 8 years of innocence evident in his eyes.
"Yes honey, most secrets are bad, but in some special cases it's ok."
"When?"
I was really not prepared to have a philosophical conversation with an 8 year old in the school yard, but here I was. Damn you Sidney! This is what I didn't want to happen! Having you around can only complicate my life.
"Well, like in this case it's ok because no one is going to get hurt by not telling anyone."
He paused for a minute. "Ok!"
Thank god he bought it!
"Alex, you're pretty quiet all of a sudden. What's on your mind?"
"Nothin' really. Are you sure I can't even tell Logan, he's like my best friend?"
"I'm sure. You can't say anything to anyone, at least not yet," I replied as we reached the car.
They boys opened the back door and climbed into their seats.
"Hey guys, it's good to see you again! I hope you don't mind that I crash your party tonight?" Sid said.
"It's cool," Alex replied trying to contain his excitement. Jake just shrugged his shoulders.
"Ah, Jake's the strong silent type huh?" he said turning to look at me now.
"Something like that. He's not easily impressed."
"Just like his mother!"
I gave him a very uncomfortable half smile as I pulled away from the school.
"Hey Beks," he said quietly.
"Yeah?"
"Thank you."
"For what?"
"This. Today...everything. I'm really looking forward to tonight."
No comments:
Post a Comment