By the time Vero and I got our skates on Sid and Marc-Andre were already engaged in a game of tag with the boys and the four Lemieux kids. I was lost in my own little world, taking in the scene when Vero's french accent snapped me back into reality.
"There's nothing like watching a man interact with children eh? He's going to be a great father some day."
"Hmmm...right."
"By the smile on your face I'd say you feel the same way and the view isn't that bad either. Bekah, you still with me?"
I brought myself to my senses and said, "it's just been such a long time since I've seen the boys having such a good time, I'm just happy I'm here to see it."
"Yes, Sid said that you've been working alot lately."
"He told you that?" I asked completely shocked.
"He's told us quite a bit about you and the boys," she smiled. "But don't worry, it's all been good!"
I was not impressed. What exactly was 'quite a bit'? I've told Sidney things that I've never told anyone and he just goes and tells everyone? My anger was rapidly turning to outrage.
"I'll be back," I said and took off in the direction of Sidney.
The look of anger on my face took Sidney by surprise and when I said "You and me, skate...NOW," he didn't put up a fight, he just followed me to the end of the rink.
"Are you ok?" he asked tentatively while trying to grab onto my arm.
I jerked it out of his grasp and turned to face him.
"I'll take that as a no. What going on Beks?"
"Don't call me that! You wanted a race so let's race. How far?"
"Umm...I...don't...know?" He looked very confused.
"Fine. Down and back five times."
"Seriously?"
"Too much for ya superstar?"
He could tell by the tone of my voice that this was not my usual joking comment. Just then Vero came over with Marc-Andre.
"What's going on?" Marc asked in his cute little french accent. Vero looked concerned.
"We're racing," I replied curtly.
"Racing?"
"She thinks she can beat me," Sid said quietly.
Marc laughed hysterically and Vero just gave a half smile.
"That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time! No one on the team can beat him and you think you can?"
Now I was pissed.
"That's right. Let's go Crosby."
"Wait, wait, wait! This is going to be good. Hey everyone, clear the ice for a minute. Bekah thinks she can beat Sid at a footrace!" Marc yelled.
Everyone started mumbling to the person next to them, but eventually they all moved to the sides of the rink. I had a fire burning in the pit of my stomach. Part of it was fear but most of it was anger. First at Sid and then at Marc for doubting me and turning this into a spectacle.
Sid stood beside me and looked at me with pleading eyes.
"We don't have to do this Bekah."
"We do now," I said without looking at him. I took my spot on his left hand side.
"Bek, this is stupid. Let's just forget it."
"You two ready?" Marc asked.
"Let's do it," I said.
"Sure," Sid said uneasily.
"What does the winner get?" Vero asked.
"Dinner," replied Sid.
"I'm changing the terms," I said.
"To what?" Sid asked curiously.
I leaned over so only he could hear me. "When I win, you will leave me the hell alone, for good."
Before Sid had a chance to say anything Marc raised his arm in the air and said, "on my go."
"Don't even think about easing up and letting me win Crosby. Skate your guts out."
"Alright."
I closed my eyes for a minute and tried to remember everything David had ever taught me about skating. Keep a low centre of gravity...use your legs...pump your arms until you hit your stride...keep your head up... 'David, I need you now more than ever' I thought.
"Ready...set..."
I opened my eyes and focused on the other end of the rink and the spot on the boards I wanted to touch.
"GO!"
Sid took off like a rocket and I was just slightly behind him. Everyone was cheering us both on. Surprisingly, most of the women were cheering for me and Sid's teammates were urging him not to get beaten by a girl. I didn't look at Sid until the fourth length of the rink. I could see that he was starting to fade and knew that this was the time to make a move. Every muscle in my body felt like it was on fire but I kicked it up a notch. I sank lower and dug my skates into the ice. I was right beside him. We were dead even when we hit the boards for our last turn. I used every ounce of strength that I could muster and dug harder. With only 10 yards to go I noticed out of the corner of my eye that I couldn't see Sidney anymore. I hit the end boards and collapsed in pure exhaustion. A few seconds later Sid hit the boards and collapsed to the ice right beside me. My eyes were still closed when I felt strong arms lifting me to my feet and before I knew it, it was on the shoulders of Recchi and Gonchar and they were carrying me around the ice for a victory lap. They put me down on the ice beside Sid who was shaking his head in disbelief. I started to skate towards the bench and heard "Pick an expensive restaurant girl!" "Make him pay!" "Golden boy got beat by a girl!"
When I sat down, I felt like I was going to throw up. Vero came and sat down beside me and put her arm around me.
"Where did you learn to skate like that?" she asked.
"My brother was a hockey player," I managed still out of breath.
"I didn't know you had a brother. Is he a pro player?"
Now it was my turn to be confused. I thought she said Sid told her all about me?
"Sid didn't tell you about my brother?"
"Nope! Must be a good teacher if you can skate like that! Does he play professionally?"
"He died when he was 18," I said looking down at the ground.
"Oh Bekah, I'm sorry. I didn't know!"
"It's fine. How could you have?"
I got up and ran for the bathroom. I was going to get sick and it wasn't from the skate I just had.
1 comment:
Wow, I so did not see that coming! Awesome chapter, love your regular updates and I am hopelessly addicted. Peace out :)
Post a Comment