The kids ran through the door and headed straight to the fridge leaving a trail of coats, hats, gloves and backpacks in their wake.
"Hey, hey, hey, you guys know better. Get back here and put your stuff away and get your homework out."
"Ahh but mom, I'm starving!" Alex whined.
"But mom, I don't have any homework," Jake chirped quite happily.
"But mom, come on you're no fun!" the biggest kid of all said making sure he got his two cents worth in.
"I didn't realize I had changed my name to but mom! Alex get your homework out and I'll get you a snack. Jake you can watch your hour of t.v. now or after dinner."
"Now!" and he was gone.
"And you Crosby. You are a bad influence! The boys have a routine that they need to stick to, surely you of all people can understand that."
He looked down at the ground and gave me an 'awe shucks' look before batting his eyelashes at me.
"I'm sorry," he said not really meaning it.
I just shook my head. "Batting your eyelashes at me? That's pretty weak Crosby."
"Yes, but did it work?"
"No. You are such a girl!"
"Am not!"
"You are too!"
"Are you guys done?" Alex interrupted. "You fight like girls!"
"Ouch! That hurt man. You're supposed to be on my side, us guys have to stick together."
"Alex we were not fighting," I said putting some apple slices and cheese in front of him.
"Hey Sid, what do you know about geometry?" Alex asked.
"I can get by," he replied taking a seat next to him at the counter and looking over Alex's books.
"I'll be right back," I said grabbing my cell as I left the room.
I sent Lily a text: 'Don't freak out but Sidney is joining us tonight. R U ok with that?'
'At ur house???!!!!'
'Yep'
'Sorry but i m freaking out!'
'Get it out now and just b cool when u get here.'
'B there in 20!'
I checked on Jake before heading back to the kitchen. He was engrossed in his daily dose of Sponge Bob. I stopped at the end of the hallway and observed the touching scene before me. Sid and Alex were sitting side by side and Sid was showing Alex how to measure the angles in a triangle. It was the simplest thing but one of the most heartwarming visions I had seen in a long time. A tear rolled down my cheek as I thought back to the conversation Alex and I had that very morning when it hit me like a ton of bricks. This was exactly what he had been talking about. This beautiful sight is what I had been depriving him and Jake of for six long years. A strong, positive male influence to guide them through the most influential years of their lives. I was a horrible mother! How could I be so selfish? My self-loathing came to an abrupt halt when the front door slammed and Lily shrieked "OH MY GOD!"
Lily made a bee line straight for Sidney who was more than a little stunned at the high pitched shriek.
"Way to be cool Lily," I mumbled going over to run interference.
"Sid, this is my extremely disturbed,yet very sweet best friend Lily. Lily this is..."
"Yeah yeah I KNOW who this is. It is so great to meet you Sidney, I am a HUGE fan!"
Sid extended his hand to her and she wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him like she had never seen a man before. Gracious as always, Sid returned the embrace.
"Ok Lily geez! Can you let the guy breathe at least?"
"Sorry," she said giggling like a school girl. "I just can't believe that I am in the presence of the great Sidney Crosby!"
"Clearly Lily is not the shy, quiet type!" I said in that sarcastic tone that I didn't even know I was using half the time.
"It's fine," Sid laughed. "I'm getting used to it."
The three of them carried on like they were long lost friends, talking about everything from Christmas to the weather to the Pens less than stellar season thus far.
"Where do you guys want to get the pizza from?" I interjected.
"I don't care, " Lily said.
"Me either," Alex echoed.
"How about 'Gino's? They have great pizza!" Sid aid rather enthusiastically.
After arguing over what to put on the pizzas I finally placed the order and went about setting the table for dinner.
"Do you need any help?" Sid asked.
"No I'm fine. Thanks for offering though."
"Do you mind if I play a video game with the boys before dinner?"
"No, I guess not."
"Great!" he said and then disappeared into the 'media room' that was home to the computer, t.v. and video game consoles, a kick ass stereo system and an extensive movie, record and c.d. collection that I had inherited from gram.
I stayed in the kitchen with Lily.
"What the hell Bekah?" Lily demanded.
"What?" I asked.
"What? It's one thing to to meet the guy after a game or run into him accidentally at the hospital, but how the hell did this happen?"
I once again proceeded to tell her all the details of recent events. I was sure to leave out my conversation with Alex and the epiphany I was experiencing when she arrived.
"Wow," she said very matter of factly.
"Really? That's all you have to say?"
"I'm kind of in shock here Bekah."
"I know, it's Sidney Crosby. But he really is rather normal once you get past what he does."
"It's not that."
"Then what is it?"
"You. You broke your cardinal rule. You have let a man not only in your house, not only in your life but into the boys lives. You swore this would never happen, and not only is it happening, but it's happening with one of the most famous hockey players in the world! He must have some spell over you to have crossed over into the forbidden land!"
"Nothing is happening," I said. "I've made it perfectly clear that we will never be anything but friends, and I happen to have friends over to my house every once in a while. You're my friend and you practically live here!"
"Just friends my ass! It is more than that and you know it! You may think that you've fooled him into believing that, but I'm your best friend and I'm not buying it. I can see it in your eyes, and if you don't watch yourself, he's going to too."
Ding dong!
Thank god! Saved by the bell.
3 comments:
I think a relationship would be neat. But that's a 12-year age difference so I dunno. but I kinda like the idea of a relationship. :)
I like the idea of a relationship. I love the realistic tone to the story and I do think you could take it either way - friendship or boyfriend/girlfriend. Keep on updating, please. Even though you might not always get comments, I bet a lot of people read this story. Peace out!
I absolutely LOVE this story, although I think you should keep the relationship going. There would be no story without their strong connection and magnetism to eachother right? KEEP IT GOING! I LOVE IT!
If you wanna read my story, you can go to
www.valfanfic.blogspot.com
It's called "You Were Only Waiting for this Moment to Arise"
THANKS!
Post a Comment