I busied myself cleaning up the breakfast dishes, lost in the conversation I just had with Alex. 9:25 am a knock at the door snapped me back into reality. Sidney hated to be late and as usual he was right on time. I opened the door and feasted my eyes upon the most gorgeous man I had ever seen holding two boxes with big red bows on them. Something was different about him today, I just couldn't put my finger on what it was.
"WOW! You look fantastic! I was beginning to wonder if you owned anything but scrubs and that ratty old #66 jersey you always wear!"
I could feel myself blushing at his comments. "Thanks, you clean up pretty good yourself mister. What is all this," I asked eyeing the boxes he was holding. He squeezed past me and headed for the breakfast bar, the scent of his cologne tickling my nose.
"I come bearing gifts!"
"Gifts for what?" I asked puzzled.
"For you. Well, it's not really a gift, more like a necessity. Now don't get too excited, it's nothing much." He pushed the boxes towards me and told me to open them.
I lifted the lid to the first box and he raised the lid on the second one at the same time. I was looking at two brand new pair of skates.
"Now, I wasn't sure if you were a girly girl and liked those pansy figure skates or of you could handle real skates like the big boys wear, " he said laughing and taking the 'real skates' out of their box.
"Oh don't you worry about me! I could tape the boxes to my feet and still keep up with you Crosby!"
"Is that a challenge?"
"Damn right it is!"
"What are the terms?"
"What do you mean?"
"What do I get when I win?"
"That's presuming you will win, and you won't!"
"Ok, so what'll it be?"
"I don't know."
"How about, when I beat you, you have to make me dinner...anything I want!"
"And when I kick your ass?"
"That's not going to happen! But for the sake of argument and good sportsmanship, if you win, I'll take you to dinner...anywhere you want to go."
"How come I have to make dinner but you get to buy dinner?"
"Trust me, you do NOT want me to cook for you!"
"Well, warm up the old credit card because we will be going to the most expensive restaurant I can find!" I said smiling.
"We'll see about that," he grinned. "Try them on."
I put the men's skates on and watched as his expert hands tightened the laces and did them up. Perfect fit! He pulled me up off the stool and I took a few wobbly steps in them.
"You think you're going to kick my ass when you can barely stand up!"
"It's been a while alright! I'm not worried, it's like riding a bike. You never forget how. I feel that I should give you fair warning though, I am an accomplished skater, not to mention that I was the one who did all the drills and and practised with my brother. Care to rethink the terms of our challenge?"
"Nope!"
"Ok, but don't say I didn't warn you!"
"I'm not worried," he said bending down to take the skates off for me.
"I don't think I like this cocky side of you Crosby!"
"Not cocky, confident. And you love it!"
He was right.
"Ready to shop?" he asked.
"I was born ready! I ought to warn you, you're going to get your workout in shopping with me. Hope you can keep up!"
"I am so not afraid of you!"
"You always have to have the last word don't you?"
"No."
"Uugh! Has anyone ever told you how completely frustrating you are?"
"I may have been told once or twice!"
"Let's go!" I said grabbing my purse and keys.
"Ok but I'm driving."
"No you're not."
"Yes I am. I have more room than you do super shopper!"
I hated it when he was right.
2 comments:
Okay, as always, love your story and love the pace. Keep it up, it is awesome...
They are so adorable...more soon, please!
Post a Comment