He took a deep breath and slowly pulled away from me.
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to just barge in here and..."
"It's fine," I said quietly. "I'm just... surprised."
"Surprised? Why?"
Seriously?
"Sid, it's been over a week since our last conversation and I haven't heard from you. You completely ignored me at the games. I assumed you had made your decision."
"I'm not going to deny that I was a little hurt and confused after we talked and I really was going to try and leave you alone, but I just can't. I won't lie and say that I'm completely ok with just being your friend, I'll probably always want more. But more importantly, I need you in my life. I am completely comfortable with you. I can talk to you about anything without having to worry about saying the politically correct thing, or you judging me. Having that kind of person to lean on, especially being in my situation is worth more to me than anything else. So if you can handle it, looks like you're stuck with me!"
"I don't know, I think you are too high maintenance for me Crosby!"
"Ah ha! There's the sarcasm I know and love!"
We talked about the emotional roller coaster he had been on the past week or so. He looked exhausted just talking about everything that had been going on, but he didn't think twice about getting a dig in about the stress I too had caused him.
"Well if it makes you feel better, I wasn't doing so hot either. I couldn't even shop and that NEVER happens to me!"
"Oh yeah, Christmas shopping for the boys! You didn't get it done?"
"I really wasn't in the mood that day. And besides, I don't really know what to get them. Both of them asked for new hockey equipment and a bunch of video games, two things I really know nothing about..."
"Well today is your lucky day! I happen to be an expert in both departments and I have the next 5 days off, so when are we going?"
"Sid, I can't ask you to go shopping with me."
"You didn't, I offered. Besides friend, isn't that what friends do together?"
"Yes, but..."
"Ah ah ah! What did I tell you about that 'but'?"
"Fine. Thursday."
"Great! Oh, and before I forget, the team is having it's annual Christmas family skate at the Igloo on Saturday and Mario wanted me to invite you and the boys."
"WHAT? Mario? We couldn't possibly. We're not family!"
"Before you try making any more excuses, he will not take no for an answer. He says it's a thank you for what you did at the hospital."
"But I didn't do anything for him!"
"No, but you did alot for me and he, well we appreciate it, so too bad you're coming!
"I don't even have skates anymore!"
He was laughing hysterically. "I think we might be able to take care of that!"
3 comments:
This story is so awesome, and I love how you are taking it slow. It is not unrealistic at all. Update soon, please
I love it! I agree with stovgirl, it's very realistic and I think that's what draws me to this story. More soon, please!
i just started reading this story today and im already on chapter 24!!! its amazing!!! please update more
Post a Comment