The silence during the ride home from the arena was deafening. Mario and Troy riding in the front while Sid sat alone in the back, starring out into space. Mario had nothing to say to Troy, and Troy knew better than to try and carry on a conversation with his son while he was in a mood.
When they arrived back at the house, Sid went straight to his room only stopping long enough to give Taylor a kiss goodnight. He spoke to no one. Once alone in his room, he couldn't hold in his emotions any longer. He couldn't be bothered to get undressed. He crawled into bed, suit and all, and cried. He lay in the pitch black room remembering every precious moment he had spent with her. He expertly reached through the darkness for the picture on his bedside table, the one of the four of them at the skating party, and clutched it tightly to his chest. That day had been one of his happiest since coming to Pittsburgh. All of his time with her was happy, even when she was being difficult, and god only knows she could be difficult! That was one of the many things he loved about her. One of the things he would always love about her. He didn't care what she said, there would be no moving on for him, not anytime in the near future anyways.
He closed his eyes and thought back to the kiss they had finally shared. Passionate, gentle, full of the love they were both feeling for each other, but too afraid to admit. A small smile appeared across his lips and tears ran down the side of his face. For the first time in his entire life, he cried himself to sleep.
**********************************************
In one of the guest bedrooms of the Lemieux house, Trina was questioning her husband about their son's behaviour.
"What happened out there tonight Troy? Sidney was so angry. It's not like him to play like that. I'm worried about him. I went to his door to say goodnight and I heard him crying."
"Crying? Sidney doesn't cry."
"That's why it's so unsettling, but I'm quite sure I know what I heard Troy. What's going on with him?"
"He has alot of pressure on him hon, and the team isn't doing well. You know he's not used to losing like this. And I'm sure he's not over the Olympic thing either. Everyone has a breaking point and maybe he's reached his. Give him a few days, and I'm sure he'll be back to his old self."
"Are you sure that's all it is? He seems in pretty bad shape for it to just be the pressure and disappointment. Maybe it has something to do with that girl...what's her name?...that he hasn't stopped talking about. Oh what's her name?"
"What girl?"
"You know, the one with the two boys...Bekah! That's her name. Maybe it has something to do with her. He obviously likes her very much."
"Trina, he hardly knows the girl. I'm sure she has nothing to do with any of this. Now stop your worrying, Sidney will be fine. He always bounces back."
"I'm his mother, I will never stop worrying about him, but I hope you're right. I can't stand seeing him like this."
***************************************************
Nathalie sat next to Mario in their bed and studied the disturbing look of worry on his face. She reached out and placed a gentle hand on her husband's back. He took a deep breath at the mere touch of her hand.
"I'm torn Nat. I don't know what to do."
He had told her the whole story the night that it happened, and had filled her in on the most recent events from that morning that he himself had only learned because he had forced Sid to tell him what was bothering him. Sid couldn't keep anything this big from Mario, and Mario could never hide anything from Nathalie, she saw right through it. They both adored Bekah and thought she was so good for Sidney, so they too were in anguish over what Troy had done."
"You're in a very difficult position sweetheart. You promised Troy you'd take care of his son, and you and I both know that he needs Bekah in his life. But you're not his father, Mario. You have to respect Troy's wishes...no matter how much you might disagree with them."
"But this is just so wrong. He loves her Nat, and to keep them apart like that...in such a devious manner...don't you think Sid deserves to know what his father has done?"
"Of course I do, but it's not your place. If you tell him the truth you could damage their relationship and where would that get you? All you can do is be there for Sid when he needs you. I believe those two are meant to be together. The kind of bond they have can survive anything, even a meddling father. Give it time to run it's course, and I bet you'll see them find their way back to each other."
"But will that happen before the kid completely self destructs and blows his rookie season?"
"Only time will tell sweetheart."
"If he doesn't snap out of this funk sooner rather than later, I'll have no choice but to tell him. I won't let him throw this year away."
She gave him a loving kiss on the forehead. After all these years, she still loved his compassion almost above anything else. "You will do what you think is right...you always do."
3 comments:
Okay, interesting exchange between Mario and Nathalie...I wonder if he will step in...great story as always, and heartbreaking, too...
I'm glad more people are starting to catch wind of things...and it broke my heart to picture him crying himself to sleep :(
More soon, please!
Alright, Mario needs to step in and tell Sid and Nathalie should definitely tell Trina about what Troy said to Bekah. Awesome as always, please post more soon! =]
Post a Comment