Yet another familiar scent began to tickle my nose. Could it be? I rolled over and opened one eye only to see an ugly sight staring back at me. "6:30! You've got to be kidding me," I groaned. I briefly contemplated going back to sleep but decided against it when I heard noise coming from the kitchen. I followed the wonderful aroma down the hallway.
"Good morning sunshine," Sid's cheerful voice greeted me as I entered the kitchen.
"Is it?" I groaned. "You made coffee?"
"I sure did. I didn't wake you did I? I tried to be quiet."
"You should know that the second I smell caffeine, that's it, I'm up. Are you always this chipper first thing in the morning?"
"Usually."
"You suck!"
Sid laughed. "You're not I take it?"
"I can be, but last night was...a late one," I said shyly.
"Yeeeaaahhhh...about that," he began walking towards me. "Thank you." He ran his hand through my hair, down the side of my face and let it come to rest on my shoulder. "I really needed that last night. I'm just sorry I kept you up so late. You were obviously exhausted, you didn't even change out of your scrubs!"
"Ohhh...yeah...very...tired. I crashed as soon as I hit the bed." Good cover I thought.
He bent over to give me a kiss on the cheek but was interrupted by the ring of his cell.
"This early?" I questioned.
"Hello?"
"Hey dad..."
"I'm fine wh...
"I just needed to..."
"Of course not!"
I hated only hearing one part of the conversation!
"I'll be there soon."
"FINE! and he shut the phone. He looked agitated.
"Everything okay?" I asked.
"I gotta go," he said grabbing his coat. "He flew in last night and he's pissed."
"About the Olympic thing?"
"Ahhh...no. I'll talk to you later?"
"Sure."
"Bye."
Before I could say anything back he was gone. This was not exactly the way I pictured this morning going.
****************************************
Later that afternoon, I got a text from Sid.
"Hey. Mario wants you and the boys to join him and Nat in his box tonight ok?"
"Why?"
"Not sure. Just go to gate 1 and tell them who you are."
"Ok."
"See ya after the game."
****************************************
Nathalie and Mario greeted me with a warm hug when we arrived. The boys desserted me to cause havoc with the Lemieux kids.
"Stay out of trouble!" I yelled after them.
"Oh, they're fine," Nathalie assured me.
At the end of the first period, she got up to go see where the kids has gotten to. "I'll be back," she said. It didn't take long before the seat she had been occupying beside me was filled.
"Well, well, well, Miss Jones. Nice to see you again."
I could tell from the icy tone to his voice that that was far from the truth.
"You too Mr. Crosby."
"I understand you've been spending alot of time with my son lately." It was more of a comment than a question.
"I wouldn't say alot, but we have spent some time together yes."
"Come now Miss Jones. I do my homework. I know exactly how much time Sidney spends with you...and your children."
The way he said the word 'children' was enough to make my blood boil.
"Are you spying on your son Mr. Crosby?"
"Sidney is still a young, impressionable boy. There is only so much Mario and Nathalie can do to keep him in line. Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands."
I could not believe what I was hearing! The anger was building inside me with every word Troy spoke. It took every ounce of self control I had not to scream at him, but I kept my composure.
"I assure you Mr. Crosby, Sidney and I are just friends. Nothing more."
For the first time during this conversation, he actually looked at me with a smug look on his face.
"Girls are not just friends with my son, Miss Jones. And as I recall, you wanted nothing to do with Sidney just a few short months ago, so please, don't play me for a fool."
I was in shock. "Look, I don't know where you're getting your so called information from but..."
"Save it Miss Jones," Troy said in very low, calm voice. He leaned over and looked me straight in the eye. "Let me tell you the way it's going to be. I don't want you to see Sidney anymore. He has worked far too hard for far too long to blow his career to shreds in his rookie year. My job as his father is to see that he stays focused on his game and his other commitments. He has certain obligations to his sponsors, his team and his fans. He doesn't need to be distracted by you, or anyone else for that matter. Sid has a certain image to uphold. He is a role model for so many young kids, and as such, he needs to surround himself with... the right people."
That's it! Father or no father, Troy was waaaaaaaaaaay out of line. "And I'm not the 'right people', is that what you're saying?" I could feel how red my face must have been.
"I'm simply saying that you have alot of distractions that come along with you, that's all."
"You mean my children! You don't want your son spending time with a woman that has children! It's too much baggage and won't look good to the sponsors, is that what you're saying?" I asked in a voice that was rising with every word that came out of my mouth. Thank god Mario had left to find Nathalie. Troy and I were alone.
"Yes Miss Jones, that's exactly what I'm saying. Any sort of 'undesirable situation' linked to Sid, could end up costing him millions in endorsements. So I trust we have an understanding?" he turned back towards the ice.
I was shocked. I couldn't believe that Troy was trying to keep me from seeing Sid by intimidating me.
"What if we don't?"
Troy turned his head slowly towards me. "Now Miss Jones, you're a reasonable girl. I don't think we have to go there do we?"
"And what exactly am I supposed to tell Sid?"
"You're a smart girl, Miss Jones. You'll think of something. Just make sure it's believable," he paused, "I'm sorry it has to be this way, but it's what's best for Sidney. Do we have an agreement?"
Was he right? Could having a relationship with me be that detrimental to the relationships he had with his sponsors? Could I really take that risk?
"Do we have an agreement Miss Jones?" Troy asked once again.
"Yes," I said barely above a whisper.
"Good. I trust you'll end your friendship immediately."
"Can it at least wait until after Christmas?" I asked solemnly.
"Fine. But no longer."
"Agreed."
Troy got up just as Nathalie and Mario returned with all six kids in tow.
"Are you all right hon," she asked as she sat down next to me. "You look like you've seen a ghost."
"Hmm...fine," I replied quietly. "I think I'm just over tired. Can you tell Sid that I wasn't feeling well and I went home early?" I asked trying to keep my voice from quivering.
"Are you sure everything's okay?"
"I'm sure. Just tell Sid I'll talk to him tomorrow."
"He's flying home for Christmas after the game tonight."
"Oh," my heart sank. "Then tell him he can call me from home if he wants to. Come on boys, we have to get going."
"But mom, the game's not over yet," Alex said.
"NOW!" I said more sharply than I intended. The boys said their good-byes and headed for the door.
Nathalie and Mario exchanged looks of concern.
"Have a merry Christmas," I said looking back at Nathalie trying to hold back tears.
"You too sweetie," she said wrapping me in a warm hug.
I could feel them watching me as I prepared to leave the box. I turned and looked down at Sidney on the ice, one last time. As I was leaving I stopped beside Troy's seat and looked down at him with emptiness in my eyes.
"Have a merry Christmas Mr. Crosby," I said with no emotion in my voice.
"You too Miss Jones. You too."
4 comments:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Sidney better fight for her! More soon please - I can't wait to see what happens when Sidney finds out what his dad did!
I hope that Troy really isn't like that in real life... he has broken my heart! His son is more than old enough to make his own decisions, he shouldn't be interferring with this! UGH! Please update soon, terrific chapter as always!
Wow, loved that chapter. I am with Lauren, Sid better fight for her or else! More soon, please...
Oh my god. How could Troy do that? I agree, Sidney better fight for her after all he was the one who tracked her down...
Anyway, this was an amazing chapter, as always. Please post more soon!
Post a Comment