I sat on the couch clutching the old worn out jersey, reading Mario's words over and over. There is no other gift that would ever mean more to me than this ratty old thing. Lily entered the room.
"The boys are occupied with their new video games so do you wanna make some breakfast?"
"Sure," I said placing the jersey back in it's box and heading for the kitchen.
"Ummm, why don't you go get dressed first," Lily said with a slight twinkle in her eye.
"I'm ok, I'll just get dressed after breakfast."
"I really think you should get dressed now."
"What is up with you Lil?"
"Just go get dressed and I'll get breakfast started," she said ushering me towards my bedroom.
When I got there, there was a plain black box with a bright red bow sitting on my bed. My heart started beating so quickly I nearly lost my breath. What now? I didn't know if I could handle any more surprises. I approached the box slowly, almost as if it would explode or something.
'You're being ridiculous', I told myself. 'Just open it.'
I untied the bow and carefully lifted the lid. Inside was an envelope with my name written on it. When I picked it up, it revealed two picture frames underneath. I gasped as I realized what the pictures were of. One was of Mario, Nathalie, Sid and me taken at the restaurant after the skating party. It was a great picture. We all looked so happy. I picked up the second one and ran my fingers along the sides of the frame. It was a picture of Sid holding Jake in one arm, holding Alex's hand with me holding Alex's other hand skating around the ice. We all had huge smiles on our faces. I didn't even know someone took that picture! I sat down on the bed clutching the picture, remembering how much time I had wasted being angry at Sid that day, but how well it had turned out in the end. It was that night that I began realizing the depth of my feelings for Sidney. I opened the envelope and pulled out the hand written note. It read:
'My beautiful Bekah,
I think these photos really captured the spirit of the day, don't you? I was a long, tough road to get there, but worth every second. You and the boys have added so much joy to my life. I thank god every day that you have been gracious enough to let me be part of your lives. I cherish every moment I have spent with you, Alex and Jake and look forward to creating many more happy memories. Merry Christmas Beks.
Love,
Sidney
xoxoxo
"It's a beautiful sight isn't it?"
I looked up to see Lily leaning against the door frame.
"What is?" I asked in a daze.
"Those happy people in that picture you're holding on to for dear life."
"It was a good day," I said quietly dropping my eyes back down to the image in front of me.
"He's really something Bekah. Did you know he thought of all this on his own AND tracked me down at the hospital to let me in on his little surprises?"
"So you knew about all this?"
"Not all of it. The gifts from the boys and 'Santa' were surprises to me too. He is so incredible Bek. And he's sooooooooooooooo crazy about you and the boys..."
"Stop!" I yelled bursting into tears again. "I can't do this!"
"Do what?" Lily asked completely confused.
"This. Everything. I can't do it. It's all too much too fast."
"Fast?" Lily said putting a comforting arm around me. "It's about damn time if you ask me!"
"I can't let this go on anymore. This is exactly what I was afraid was going to happen. Sid and the boys are getting too attached to one another. It has to stop."
"Have you lost your mind Rebekah Anne Jones! Sidney Crosby is the best thing to happen to you and those boys and I will not let you fuck it up."
"It's not up to you Lily. I can't. I just can't do it anymore."
"Okay, you haven't been right for the last couple days and now this crazy talk! Did something happen?"
"No, I just can't let this go any further."
"What are you talking about? You guys are perfect for each other! What aren't you telling me?"
"Nothing. I have to end it. I don't have a choice."
"Of course you have a choice! You are being stupid Bekah, get a grip!"
"You don't understand Lil."
"Enlighten me then."
"I can't. There just is no way Sidney and I can have any sort of relationship and I need to tell him that as soon as he gets back."
"If you tell me what's going on, maybe I can help you."
"You can't help this time Lily. It's just something I have to do."
2 comments:
Okay, that was another great chapter. I hope she will not break it off with him, but that is just the romantic in me...keep updating, and I can't wait to see what happens when he comes to visit...
Oh my god, the bit about the pictures was too freaking wonderful! I really hope she doesn't break it off with him - they are meant to be. Keep updating, I can't wait to see what happens when he gets back!
Post a Comment