Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Chapter 73

I was alone; or at least as alone as you could be in a bar full of people. It's a week night for crying out loud! I know I'm pretty out of the 'night life', but seriously? Don't these people have to go to work tomorrow?
I was about to get up and go find Lily when Marc and Colby came back.
"Where's Max?" Colby asked.
"He left."
"That has to be a record! He found someone already?"
"I don't think so. I'm pretty sure he left by himself," I replied.
"That's impossible, Max does not leave by himself."
"Well he did tonight."
Colby pondered his next statement for a minute.
"Impressive," he finally said with a raised eyebrow.
Before I got a chance to ask what that meant, Marc's phone vibrated. He looked at the caller id, then at Colby.
"Sorry, I have to take this," he said excusing himself.
"Colby, what did you mean by 'impressive'?"
"What? Oh...I...umm... I have to pee. Be right back!"

A few minutes later Marc returned and asked where Colby was.
"Apparently I have a knack for making men leave. I asked him a question and he bolted."
"Was it a serious question?"
"I don't think so, I just asked him what he meant by a comment he said earlier."
"That will do it. One thing you should know about Army is he speaks without thinking most of the time. Nothing he say ever makes sense and he doesn't like to explain himself so he'll avoid answering at all costs."
"Got it. No serious or personal conversations with Colby."

I was starting to get tired, (or the alcohol was getting to me, one or the other) so I decided I was going to go home. I just wanted to put this very strange night behind me. I was still mad at Sid and fueling that anger with more alcohol was not in anyone's best interest.
"Thanks for keeping me company tonight Marc, but I'm going to find Lily and head home."
"Uh, I don't mind taking you home."
"Thanks Marc, but I'm okay to go home with Lily."
Just then Colby appeared with a few other guys from the team.
"Hey Bek, your friend just left with some guy. They were pretty hot and heavy, I'll be surprised if they even make it out of the parking lot!"
Great! Note to self: KILL LILY!
"I guess you're stuck with me now," Marc said standing up.
"You should stay with the rest of the guys, I can take a cab."
"Oh no you can't! Sid would kill me if he found out I didn't make sure you got home safe."
"How does Sid know I'm here?"
"Uh, I...I didn't say that he did. You ready?"
Why does everybody keep changing the subject?
"Yes, I'm ready."
I said goodbye to everyone and they all looked at me in that pitiful 'I feel sorry for you' look. I'm sure word had already spread about what happened with Sid. I just wanted to get the hell out of here and go home.


The ride home stared out quietly. Marc turned the radio down so it was barely audible and he didn't make an effort to make small talk and I was relieved. I looked toward him gratefully and he must have caught me out of the corner of his eye because he smiled that great big smile at me and my heart nearly melted. He quickly looked away, almost like he was embarrassed, which I thought was endearing. I thought I'd take this opportunity to break the silence.
"Marc, if I ask you a question will you answer it honestly?"
"I'll try."
"Is this what I should expect after every loss?"
He took a deep breath and looked at me thoughtfully before he answered.
"Sid can be very complicated sometimes. He's under alot of pressure to live up to all the hype about him, to save this team, to save the whole league for that matter. He takes his responsibilities seriously and when we lose, he takes it personally. He feels like he's failed; like he has let everyone down. He hasn't really figured out how to deal with losing yet, it's not something he's ever been used to."
"That was a fantastic speech Marc, but that didn't even come close to answering my question. I completely understand the position he's in and the responsibility he carries on his shoulders, but it is no excuse for the lack of basic human decency. He was rude and down right nasty, and that was to me, someone he supposedly cares about! There is just no excuse for the way he treated me tonight, and if that is what I can expect after a loss...let's just say I will not put myself in that position again."
"He does care about you Bekah. He loves you."
"You do not treat people you love that way, under any circumstance."
"I agree, and I'm not making excuses for him, but believe me when I tell you he does love you, don't ever doubt that. Besides hockey, you are all the kid talks about. It's sickening really. He'd probably kill me if he knew I was telling you this but, Sid has never had a serious girlfriend before. I think he's having a tough time trying to deal with feelings he's never had and all the pressure he's under. I know he feels terrible about what happened tonight, so if you can, try to cut him a little slack. Talk to him, let him apologize, heck, make him beg for forgiveness, just don't make any hasty decisions until you hear what he has to say."
I looked at him thoughtfully and said, "Sid's lucky he has you as a friend ya know."
"I am your friend as well, I hope you know that. If you need anything, please do not hesitate to ask. Even if you just need to talk."
"Thank you Marc. And thank you for being so honest with me, you've given me alot to think about. I'm just glad I don't have to face Sid tonight. I'm still angry and I think I just need some time to process everything before I even think about seeing him."
"Oh," was the only thing he said and he suddenly started to fidget uncomfortably as he turned on to my street.
"Did I say something wrong?"
"Uh, wrong? No, why you say that?"
As he pulled into my driveway it became very clear why he was suddenly so uncomfortable.

4 comments:

Caitlin said...

Oh come on now... PLEASE! I love this story I'm just gonna say it right out. These cliffhangers are killing me!

Anonymous said...

dun dun duh.

Aeryn said...

uh oh... Poor flower, stuck in the middle of everything. Hope she'll forgive Sid for being an ass.

I like how marc told her that Sid has never had a serious girlfriend before, that's got to be a lot to think about.

Lauren said...

Ahhhh....please don't leave us hanging for too long? What has dear Marc gone and gotten himself into? More soon, please!