Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Sidney's POV

When I saw how black Max's eye was, I felt horrible. I couldn't believe I let my anger boil over to the point where I would actually physically hurt one of my own teammates. It didn't matter how out of line Max was, I should have been the bigger person. I needed to apologize.

I waited for Max to come in to the locker room after talking to the press. I finished up before everyone else today and was just finishing getting dressed when Max came in. Before I had a chance to begin my apology, his words stabbed me in the heart like a knife.

"Hey golden boy, I didn't know your girlfriend was such a fan of Italian food. She's a pretty remarkable woman; you might want to try and hold onto her."

He had the smuggest look on his face as he brushed by me and headed for the showers. It took a minute for my brain to to register what he had just said to me.

'How does he know she likes Italian food? Does she even like Italian food? How the fuck does he know how remarkable she is? What the hell is going on?' I wasn't sure, but I intended to find out. I threw on my crocs and headed for the shower room.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean Talbot?" I yelled.
Max didn't seem surprised that I was there demanding answers. The smug look on his face was really starting to irritate me.
"It means exactly what it sounds like. She's amazing. Maybe you should pull your head out of your ass and see what you have right in front of you."
"How do you know what I have?"
"I took her to lunch yesterday; actually it was more a morning after thing. Poor girl had one nasty hangover, so of course I helped her out with my morning after remedy. Anyways, we had a nice, long chat over some pasta. She's had quite a life, very tragic. Her poor brother...I couldn't imagine having to go through that with my brother."
I could feel my blood starting to boil in my veins. "She told you about David?" I asked trying to conceal my surprise.
"About David, her parents, her ex husband, everything. We got to know each other very well, but I suppose you would when you talk non stop for four hours."
I couldn't take any more. "I'm warning you Talbot; stay away from my girlfriend!"
"Or what? I'm pretty confident I can say Bekah and I are friends. We can hang out or do anything else we want together for that matter and you can't do anything about it. Hell, you don't even know of she's still your girlfriend am I right?" he snickered as he walked back out towards the stalls to get dressed.
"Fuck you Max," I yelled, following behind him. "I mean it. Stay away from her!"
I could feel all eyes on me as I stormed out of the locker room.

I sat in my car and stared out the window not knowing what to do next. I was furious at Max for trying to take advantage of Bekah when she was vulnerable, but not nearly as much as I was mad at myself for putting us in this situation to begin with. My anger was quickly equalled by hurt. Why would she tell Max all those personal things about her? Things it took forever for me to get out of her.
I sat for almost half an hour trying to figure out what I was going to do. I know what I wanted to do, but would that just make things worse? Fuck it! I picked up my phone and dialed Bekah's number. Voicemail again. This time I left a message.
'Beks, it's me. I know you said you needed time and I'm trying to respect that, but we really need to talk. I need to see you. Please Beks. We can get through this, just call me. I love you.'

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

okay I'm totally rooting for Sid now. I really like Max and all, but Sid's just, I don't know... better for her. Thanksfor yet another great chapter.

Val said...

yep, with Caitlin on this one, totally rooting for Sid, and I don't like when Max is the bad guy, but it is sooo working in this story!