Sunday, September 12, 2010

Chapter 110

Weeks had passed with no real change. I worked, took the boys to hockey and played the part of supportive girlfriend as best I could, but Sid wasn't making it easy. He played hockey, went to practice, made radio and television appearances, went to one commercial or photoshoot after another, attended every team function and served as babysitter to the Lemieux kids on occasion. He did make a conscious effort to take the time to make sure we talked every night but I could count the number of times I'd seen him in the last six weeks on one hand. And he still had made no attempt to see Sam in the hospital despite a few subtle reminders.

And then there was Max. Uncle Max was turning out to be the constant in our lives. He was there when the boys got home from school if I couldn't be; making dinner on occasion so we weren't eating at eight o'clock at night. He helped with homework and read bedtime stories; was a cheerleader at hockey games, but most of all he was just there. There for me and there for the boys.

"So how long are they gone for?" Lily asked one night as we settled in to watch the game on tv.
"10 days," I replied.
"Ouch, that's a long one! I don't know if I could handle being away from my man that long all the time."
"Lily, you can't handle keeping a man for that long let alone being away from him!"
"Point taken," she smiled as we clinked our wine glasses together. "But seriously, isn't it tough having Sid gone so much?"
"Honestly, it's really no different. I don't see him when he is home. I probably talk to him more when he's on the road because he doesn't go out with the guys; doesn't want to cause a scene you know," I said in my best snobby voice.
"And you're just okay with that?"
"What choice do I have Lil? This is his life and I knew that when I signed up. It was my choice and now I have to live with it."
"Oh my fucking God! Do you hear yourself right now? You're talking about choosing to be with Sid like it was choosing to get a ridiculous tattoo when you were younger - you have to live with it? Seriously Beks, of course you have a choice! If you're unhappy end it."
"Whoa, wait a minute, I never said I was unhappy. Dating Sid is not like dating some guy I picked up in a bar; it takes patience and sacrifice, but he's worth it."
"Is he? Forgive me Beks but I haven't heard anything since the end of summer that would make me think that he's worth it. Do I need to remind you about Sam?"
"No Lily, you do not," I said tersely. "I am fully aware that Sid has let me down on occasion..."
"And there's always a very sexy Frenchman waiting to pick up the pieces."
"What's that supposed to mean?"
"Nothing, it's merely an observation."
"Max is my friend Lily, he understands what life with Sid is like."
"I have no doubt that he does, but just a friend? Are you sure, cause from where I'm sitting it sure seems like it's Max you're in a relationship with, not Sid. Not that I would blame you..."
"Lily! Why would you even say that? You know Max and I are just friends."
"No, I know that you think that you and Max are just friends, but are you sure that's the way he feels? Cause I gotta tell you Beks, he sure doesn't seem to mind playing the role of domestic bliss with you; and Sam? He visits him like every other day. Does Sid do any of that?"
"No. But that doesn't mean that Max has feelings for me."
"Tell yourself whatever you need to to get through the day, but I'm telling you straight up; Max Talbot is in love with you and you're to blind to see it."

Just then my phone rang and Lily looked at it to see the caller id. "Hmmmm bachelor number one," she said tossing me the phone.
I was still starring at Lily and no words were able to leave my mouth.
"Now would be a good time to say hello."
"Uh, hi Sidney."
"Hey beautiful, you okay, you sound funny?"
"No, I'm good, just tired. Great game tonight babe. You played really well."
"Thanks, everything just seemed to click tonight, it was nice for a change. Did you and the boys watch?"
"They watched the first period and that was about all they could manage so it was just me and Lily."
"Nice; you guys haven't been able to spend much time together lately. What's new with her? Or should I say who's the latest victim?" he chuckled.
"Sid, that's not very nice. She's good, and for your information, she is currently victimless."
"Hey, I heard that! Thanks alot dick!" she shouted so Sid could hear her.
"It comes from a place of love Lily, don't mind him. You're in an awfully good mood tonight. Any particular reason?"
"Nope, just happy. I had a great night, I'm talking to my beautiful girlfriend, what's not to be happy about?"
"Okay, now you're scaring me. Where's the real Sid?"
"Thanks alot! I don't know, I'm just in a good place right now. Maybe it's because by the time we get home it will be Thanksgiving and I'm looking forward to having the two days off. Speaking of which, my family is coming and we were all kind of hoping that you and the boys would join us at Mario's for Thanksgiving dinner."
"Like on the Thursday?"
"Well, yeah that is Thanksgiving."
"But you know I have our Thanksgiving tradition, we..."
"It's one day! And my family is coming. Can't you put your tree up on Friday or Saturday? You barely made it before Christmas last year."
"Yeah and that's because I had a ton of stuff going on last year. this year I'm more settled and I was hoping that maybe you'd join us this year since you actually have a day off."
"Ahh Beks, my family's only going to be here for a few days and you know I never get to see them."
"Yeah, I know exactly what that feels like. Look, why don't they come here for dinner, then you get to see them and be part of our tradition too?"
"Nat already has everything planned and I don't think it would be right to change plans at the last minute. I don't get why you just can't come and I'll help you put up the tree on Fiday?"
"It's not about putting up the tree, it's about the family tradition, MY family tradition, forgive me for wanting you to be a part of it!"
I think he sensed my anger and frustration because his tone changed from hostile to soft.
"Why don't we meet in the middle? You guys come to the Lemieux's for dinner and as soon as were done eating, we can go back to your house and do the tree?"
"So I am once again giving up what I want for what you want? You know damn well we won't get out of there right after dinner, and I wouldn't feel right doing that so I guess were at an impass."
"Come in Beks, we can compromise."
"I'm done 'compromising' with you Sidney. All that means is you get your way, and I'm not doing it; not this time. this is too important to me."
"And seeing my family that lives 2000 miles away is important to me," he said with a raised voice.
"Then you should see them. God knows you see them more than you see me and we live in the same fucking city!"
"That's bullshit and you know it!"
"Do I? Three times Sidney; I've seen you exactly three times in the last six and a half weeks. Last time I checked your dad was just here two weeks ago for a week."
"But my mom and Taylor weren't here."
"I am so done with this conversation. You spend Thanksgiving with your family and I'll spend Thanksgiving with my family. There; settled. Goodbye Sidney," and I hung up the phone.

"That went well," Lily said trying to lighten the mood.
"Not now Lily."
And as my blood still boiled the phone rang again.
"I don't want to fight with you anymore Sid, just leave me alone..."
"Bijou? Fighting? What's going on?"
"Nothing Max. It's nothing, I don't really want to talk about it right now."
"If you and Sid are fighting it might help to talk about it?"
"I'm done talking about it. I don't want to talk about it. As far as I' concerned it's resolved."
"Okay, I won't push, but if you want to talk or if you need anything you'll come to me right?"
I was silent for a moment. "Maxie... what are you doing for Thanksgiving?"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh....this isn't how I wanted it to happen. Her and Sid were so awesome together. He used to try so hard with her. I hope he gets very jealous and realizes what he is losing. Please post again soon. I do love this story (I enjoy her strength to not back down to him but I want him to "man" up here!)

Katie said...

Woo I love a good bit of drama!!!!!

Mata said...

I kind of want her to end up with Max now because of how Sid's treating her but it's clear that her and Sid really care about each other.

Great Update!

Aeryn said...

Finally her eyes have been opened to the fact that Max is in love with her... not saying that she's not denying it, cause she totally is, but at least Lily threw it out there. I'm not sure how I feel about it, I feel like now she and Max are a better match than she and Sid are and I shouldn't feel that way! Mr. Crosby needs to step up a bit in the relationship that's for sure!

I'm anxious to see where you're going to take this. Love the writing, keep up the fantastic work! :)

Anonymous said...

Amazing amazing amazing as always....I secretly wish she'd get with Max lol. Keep up the the great updates :D

Anonymous said...

Uhmmmm. She sooooo should NOT have done that. Not a wise move to invite Max over for a family tradition on Thanksgiving.