"Hey bijou, do you wanna grab some lunch today?"
"Today isn't great for me Max, I have alot to do."
"Can you squeeze me in? I need to talk to you about something."
"That can't be good. What's up?"
"I'd rather tell you in person."
"Okay, now you're really scaring me."
"It's not bad, I promise."
"Fine, but I can't be long."
"I'll pick you up in twenty!"
"See you then."
My mind was racing as I flew around the house trying to get ready. That was one thing about Max; he was very unpredictable and spontaneous. If he got an idea in his head it was now or never. I couldn't imagine what he needed to tell me. I knew he had lunch with Marc and Sid the other day, which really surprised me, but I had been so busy with work and the boys hockey I hadn't had a chance to talk to Sid. Right on cue, the doorbell rang.
"Belle! Vous ĂȘtes absolument magnifique bijou," he said kiss both my cheeks.
"And you're up to something," I replied closing and locking my front door.
"It would just kill you to accept a compliment graciously wouldn't it?"
"You're right; I apologize. Merci Max. You are looking quite handsome yourself."
"Thank you. See, it's not that hard."
"Okay, I get it! You know I'm not good with compliments so why are you always giving me such a hard time about it. Better yet, just stop giving them; problem solved!"
"Never! I figure the same is true about good things as it is with bad things. If you hear them enough you'll start to believe them."
I smiled warmly at this amazing man who had quickly become one of my best friends.
"It's easier to believe the bad stuff," I said quietly. "Where are we going anyways?"
"Our place."
Not long after we arrived at 'our place' and were greeted by Mrs. P in the same cheek pinching manner that took place the first time Max brought me here and every time since.
"Maxime, you not come for long time."
"Sorry Mrs. P. I've been really busy."
"Busy. Pssh. Not to busy to eat. Everyone have to eat. Look at you; so skinny. Need to eat more if you going to be tough guy."
I laughed and the old woman's comments.
"She's right Max, you are a little scrawny."
"This good girl Maxime. Smart girl. I like, I like very much. You good for him dear," she said patting my cheek. "You be fool if this one gets away boy."
Mrs. P shook her head all the way back to our table mumbling in Italian. I kind of chuckled at the old woman's comments.
"She still doesn't get that we're not together does she?" I asked.
"She's stubborn. Only believes what she wants to believe."
"You never told her otherwise did you?"
"Of course I did! The first time we were here. You were right there don't you remember?"
"You're right; I do remember. Maybe it's because I'm the only girl you've ever brought here more than once."
"Harsh!"
"True!"
"You're right. But you have to admit; this is a great set up I have going here to impress the ladies."
"You are horrible Maxime!"
"Uh oh; my whole name. Now I'm in trouble!"
"Ya know, sometimes with the way you talk and think about women, I can't even believe we're friends. It's disgusting the way you use them."
"Lighten up bijou. I'm having fun, no harm in that."
"I am not going to have this conversation with you...again! Can we please talk about something...anything else?"
Mrs. P returned with our lunch, which we never even ordered by the way, and a bottle of wine. She said something in Italian to Max and disappeared again.
"We didn't order yet. What if I didn't want...chicken parmesan? And what did she say to you?"
"She said all good girls; the marrying, kind eat chicken parmesan."
"Excuse me?"
"And that you needed to put some meat on your bones if you're going to have babies," he said trying not to break out into hysterics.
"Great! Not only does she have us married off, but now I'm having babies too? How many four?"
"Eight actually," Max laughed not being able to conceal it any longer.
"I'm glad you think this is so funny. When are you going to set the poor woman straight?"
"Ah come on Beks, it's harmless. Besides, it makes her happy to think I found someone to take care of me."
"Then she doesn't know you very well at all," I said taking a bite of my chicken. "Oh my god, this is amazing!" I closed my eyes so I could savour every bit of this piece of heaven.
"Good non? Mr. P once told me that she made this for him on their first date, and after eating it, he knew he was going to marry her."
"Oh please! That kind of thing doesn't happen in real life."
"You are very cynical Ms. Jones. And it's true. They were married only six weeks later. That was almost forty years ago."
"Seriously?"
"I can not lie."
"That is so sweet. And they're still in love after all these years," I said looking towards the old couple behind the bar.
"See, I knew you had some romantic in you. Speaking of which, that's what I wanted to talk to you about."
"Romance?" I asked very confused.
"Sort of. Have you talked to Sid since we had lunch the other day?"
"No."
"Good, so I'll be the first to tell you."
"Tell me what?"
"Me and golden boy are cool. We talked everything out. I told him what was pissing me off about him and we talked through it. We can now officially coexist in your life with no bloodshed. Are you proud?"
"Is this for real?"
"Totally."
"No more 'golden boy' snotty comments from you and no more rolling eyes when I say I'm going out with you from him?"
"Nope, none of that. We are officially friends again. I still don't think he's good enough for you but..."
"Max!"
"I'm just kidding. But I did tell him one very serious thing."
"What's that?"
"That you are very important to me, and if he hurts you or disrespects you in any way, or breaks your heart, I will kill him."
"Max, you did not threaten him?"
"Yes I did and I meant every word."
"Well, I think that was a tad harsh, but thank you for trying to protect me."
"I would do anything for you bijou. I love you."
"I love you too Maxie."
"And there's more."
"I don't know if I can handle any more good news."
"I hope it's good news." He took a deep breath before continuing. "I met someone."
"Who?" I asked finishing off my chicken.
"Her name is Brittney and Beks, she's amazing!"
'Her? He met a her?' A knot began to form in the pit of my stomach. I had no words, and when I didn't respond, Max kept talking.
"She's beautiful and smart and funny and sweet and she had no idea who I was. She has no clue about hockey or the Pens or any of that stuff."
'Great! I hate her already!' I thought.
"Wow! Umm... wow! That's alot of information to take in."
"I know! I'm just so excited about her Beks, I couldn't wait to tell you any longer."
"Any longer? How long have you known her?" I asked as that knot began to get bigger and my heart sank a little lower.
"About a month. We've been out like six times now."
"Six? As in out out? Not you've slept with her six times?"
"That's the craziest part! I haven't slept with her yet!"
'OH-MY-GOD! Is he serious? What the hell!'
"There's something different about Britt. When I met her, I didn't think 'wow, I want to fuck her' it was like 'wow, she's beautiful. I wonder what she'd like to do on a date?'"
"Wow, that was a little graphic, but thanks."
"My point is, sleeping with her was not the first thing I thought about when I met her and I'm really freaked out about that."
"Wow."
"Do you think you could maybe say something else here Beks, something a little more helpful?"
'Like what? What the hell are you thinking? You don't date girls, you sleep with them and throw them away. No, I want you for myself. Wait...what?'
"Where did you meet her?"
"At a restaurant downtown where she works."
"She works in a restaurant?"
"Yeah, she's a waitress."
"Does she do anything else like go to school?"
"Not right now. She wants to go to Pitt but she's working for tuition right now."
"And she had no idea that you played for the Pens?"
"Nope, none. Says she not much of a sports fan."
'Like I fucking believe that one!'
"Beks, she's great. I think you'll really like her."
'Hmm, doubt it!'
"Yeah Max. I'm sure if you like her I will too."
'That the politically correct friend like thing to say right?'
"Beks, I really like this girl, but you are one of my best friends and your opinion is really important to me. That's why I want you to meet her...like tomorrow."
5 comments:
WOW. Didn't see that coming. Please update soon. Oh and she better stay with Sid.
Yay, you updated. I loved the inner dialogue.
NB.
Ahh! Thought he wanted to tell her about his talk with Sidney... didn't see this coming at all!!
Great update =D Can't wait to see what she's like
Ooh, let the conflicting emotions run wild! I can't wait to see what Brittney is really like, and if she and Beks can get along. As juicy reading as this makes, I want Max to find someone great that he can have for himself!
I found and caught up with this story in just a few days, and I'm addicted to it. I can't wait to see where you go from here!
I agree with all of the above comments - you totally got us with this...it will be interesting to see the interaction between Brit and Beks, and also if Sid picks up on anything.
Post a Comment