I woke up feeling a little groggy the next morning and looked at the clock on my nightstand. 8:30. I haven't slept until 8:30 in I don't know how long! I felt the warmth of breath on my neck and his arm draped gently over my waist. I closed my eyes and smiled as the memories from the night before danced in my mind. Had it really happened? Did Sidney Crosby really tell me he loved me? Even more shocking, did I really finally tell him that I loved him too? The kiss on my neck and the tight squeeze that followed was my answer.
"Good morning beautiful," he whispered in my ear before rolling over on to his back and stretching his arms above his head. I took this as an invitation.
"Morning," I replied rolling over and settling into his chest so his arm would naturally fall around my shoulder.
"You're sneaky Jones," he said planting a kiss on my forehead.
"That's what you like about me," I said playfully.
"No, that's one of the things I love about you!"
"Love? Who said anything about love?" I asked trying to antagonize him.
"I did. And as I recall...you did."
"Hmmm? I don't have that recollection!"
"Oh no you don't!," he said pulling me close against him. He lifted my chin so I was looking in his eyes. "You said it! It's out there and you can't take it back!"
"Objection! Here say. Do you have proof of this alleged conversation Mr. Crosby?"
"All the proof I need is right here," he said before planting a passionate kiss on my lips.
We both giggled and settled back into position.
"I could stay like this all day," he crooned running his fingers through my hair.
"Then why don't we? We can watch movies and just stay in bed all day!"
"As tempting as it sounds, I can't. We leave for Toronto this afternoon."
"Back to the business of being Sidney Crosby right?" I said trying to hide my disappointment.
"It's not so bad, I'll be back in a week."
"A WEEK! Boy, this gives new meaning to the phrase 'love em and leave em. Should I take offence that I tell you I love you then you skip town for a week?"
"Ah, there's the sarcasm I've missed so much! Believe me, I would like nothing more than to stay here with you, this is a terrible time for a road trip. The most amazing girl told me she loved me and now I have to leave, but to use my own cliche phrase: absence makes the heart grow fonder right?"
"Good one!" I said sitting up and crossing my legs. "I don't know?...it did only take me seven years to fall in love again...now that I have it perfected, who knows what I'll be capable of in seven days! I could easily fall in love a couple more times!"
"OH, I don't think so," he said wrapping me in a bear hug from behind, flipping me over onto my back, straddling me and pinning me down so I couldn't move and tickling me until I couldn't breathe.
"Okay, okay, okay," I said gasping for air. "I give up!"
"Ah submission, my favourite quality in a woman!"
"Sick!" I said shaking my head, "just sick! I'm going to make breakfast, are you hungry?" I asked finally climbing off my bed.
He just looked at me like I had three heads. "That's a ridiculous question! Whatcha making?"
"I'm not sure, but my guess is it's not just going to be a bowl of cereal and some toast!"
He grinned at me as he began putting on the clothes I had striped off of him the night before.
******************************************
When we were finished eating, we sat at the counter sipping our coffee.
"I can't believe you can eat like that and look as good as you do," I said in disbelief.
"It takes alot of calories to keep us hockey players going, and I am a growing boy!"
"Well I hope you plan on continuing to eat at the Lemieux's because I can't afford how much my grocery bill would grow if I had to feed you! I'd have to work double shifts every day!"
"We definitely don't want that," he said winking at me.
We were silent for what seemed like forever.
"Can we be serious for a minute Beks?"
"I don't know if I like the sound of that," I replied starting to feel nervous.
"It's not bad, I just think that we need to talk about what happened last night."
I inhaled deeply before telling him I agreed.
"Everything changed for us last night when we admitted our feelings for each other. I wish we could shout it from the roof tops, but we need to face reality."
"Reality being your father."
"He's only part of it. We have a big hurdle to jump with him and it's going to take time. I'm sure once he sees that you make me happy and you're not going anywhere, he'll come around."
"You are much more optimistic than I am Sid. You didn't hear the desperation in his voice or see the I almost hate to say it, but evil look in his eyes that night. He is hell bent on keeping me away from you."
"You let me worry about my dad. I'm not sure how yet, but I will handle him. I'm more worried about you."
"Me? Why?"
"Part of being with me is dealing with the constant circus that follows me around. It's not pleasant and I hate it sometimes but it's part of my job. I knew what I was in for when I signed up for this life. But it's not something that you asked for, and it's definitely not something that I want the boys to have to deal with right away."
I smiled thoughtfully at him. I loved the fact that he always took the boys into consideration.
"I think we might be on the same page here," I said.
"Really?" he asked surprised.
"I think we should keep our relationship quiet for now, from everybody, including the boys. We need time to figure things out for ourselves because let's face it, this is not going to be a 'normal' relationship. I think we should go slow and build on the foundation we already have before making any big announcements or going public. It's going to take time for me to get used to the fact that I have to share you with the world, I'm definitely not ready to be the most hated person in the world for taking Sidney Crosby off the market!"
"Oh come on, not the world! Maybe just the most hated in Pittsburgh!"
"Not funny," I said trying to contain a smile. "Seriously though. It's been a long, bumpy road for me to get to the point I'm even ready to try a relationship, I am not ready for the 'Sidney circus' yet. I hope you understand why I need to take this slow and keep it secret for now, maybe for a while."
Sidney took my hand in his and gave it a kiss. "Of course I understand. I know how much you've struggled with the whole thought of us. I know you're a private person and that you don't want to be thrust into the spotlight. I have waited so long for this Bekah, I am not going to do anything to screw it up. It's all up to you, your time line. Whatever you're ready for, whenever you're ready for it. Besides, it'll be kinda hot having a 'secret' girlfriend," he said with a devilish grin.
"You had to ruin the moment didn't you?"
"I wouldn't be me if I didn't! I just have one question."
"What's that?"
"What are we going to tell the boys? It's not like they're not going to see me around alot."
"It doesn't have to be any different than it was. We were friends before, they were used to you hanging around, so nothing will change. Since we're going to take things slow, this shouldn't be a factor, but I want to be clear up front. I have one rule that is absolutely unbreakable."
"What's that?"
"No spending the night when they're here. That point is not negotiable."
'That's a relief,' he thought to himself.
"No problem. Now I just have one rule for you."
"I'm intrigued."
"You have to promise not to get mad when I tell interviewers I don't have a girlfriend or when there's stories about random girls I may be dating because it's bound to happen."
"Well it's a good thing that I'll know the truth then isn't it?" I said walking over to the stool he was sitting on and wrapping my arms around his neck.
"That's just another one of the things I love about you," he said wrapping his arms around my waist, "you're so calm and confident. Not a jealous bone in that amazing body of yours!"
"Don't give me too much credit yet, I haven't been tested. I'm sure if any of those, what do you call them...puck bunnies got too close, I'd get a little feisty!"
"Oooh, I like it when you get feisty," he snickered pulling me down to kiss his lips.
His phone rang and he looked at the display before returning it to his pocket.
"I have to go," he sighed. "I have to pack and get to the airport."
"Have a safe trip," I said walking him to the door.
"I will. I'll call you tonight when I get to Toronto okay?"
"Okay. Behave yourself and play hard."
"Always. I love you," he whispered wrapping me tightly in his arms and giving me one last kiss.
"I love you the most," I replied as he headed for his car.
He turned around and smiled at me. "You'll have to explain that one to me someday," he said before getting in the Range Rover and driving away.
3 comments:
Now that was a fabulous chapter...of course, how many times have I said that...I love that they can finally be sweet with each other without any pretense...can't wait to read more...
That was a great chapter, they really are so sweet together.
haha the "Sidney circus" - so true!
I loved this chapter - they are so sweet together - I can't wait till they decide to tell the boys though - I think they'll be thrilled!
Post a Comment