Saturday, October 4, 2008

Chapter 58

Nate looked questioningly at the couple who had presented their tickets to him. He thought the man looked familiar but he wasn't sure from where. When he looked at the seats on the tickets he was caught off guard. Off course! It was the guy who was with Bekah at the last game.
"Umm, these are Bekah's tickets," Nate said to them.
"Yep, she gave them to us as a gift," Scott replied.
"You're the one that was with her the other night right? It's...Scott isn't it?"
"Pretty good memory you have man. Oh, this is my wife Gloria. Gloria this is...sorry, I'm not so good with names."
'Wife! Thank god,' Nate thought to himself. Sidney had given him the third degree after the last game, dying for any bit of information Nate might have gotten or observed. The only thing he was able to tell him was that they appeared to be very friendly and she had introduced him as a very good friend. Sidney was not at all satisfied with the news Nate was able to report on, and he felt awful that he couldn't give Sidney the answers he was craving.
"Oh, Nate. My name is Nate."
"Thee Nate?" Gloria questioned.
"I...guess so," Nate replied hesitantly.
"Bekah has told me about you. Cute story about that first meeting," she said giving him a wink like the both belonged to some secret club.
"How do you know Bekah?" Nate asked leading them down towards their seats.
"Our son Dylan is one of her patients. She has been a godsend to us over the past month. She gave us these tickets so we'd actually leave the hospital. I personally don't care much for hockey, but my husband is a HUGE fan so Bekah brought him the other night. She's working this afternoon, so I get to come."
"Sounds like something wonderful that Bekah would do," Nate said feeling a huge sense of relief. "Well here you are. I hope you enjoy the game."
"Thank you. Hey Nate, are you in this area for the whole game?" Gloria asked.
"Yes, this is my section."
"Good to know," Gloria replied wryly.

"So which one is this Sidney guy?" Gloria asked her husband.
"Oh Glo! Are you even serious?"
"Of course I'm serious. How the hell would I know who he is?"
"He's right over there, just past the net. Number 87," Scott informed her shaking his head all the while.
She was finally able to pick him out and kept her eyes on him right up until he skated right past the glass where they were sitting.
"WOW!" She exclaimed. "Shit, did I say that out loud?"
"Yeah? Wow what?" Scott asked her.
"Nothing. I just can't believe how big some of these guys are."
'Good cover,' she told herself. 'This guy is smokin' hot! Bekah you have outdone yourself with this one', she thought to herself. 'Now I'm definitely making it my mission to get you two together.'

The game was good, and the Pens were actually leading, but Gloria could really care less. It was way too fast paced for her to follow, and why did they blow the whistle so much? She didn't get it.
Midway through the second period she excused herself to go to the ladies room. Scott barely acknowledged she spoke. When she reached the top of the stairs, she found Nate standing dutifully at his post.
"Hi!" she said positioning herself right in front of him.
"Uh...hi."
"Okay, I know this is a bit off the wall, but I really need your help," she started.
"Well, that is my job," he replied.
"Oh honey, I don't think this is in your job description!"
Gloria pulled the envelope out of her pocket and handed it to him.
"I need you to give this to Sidney on his next break," she said.
"I can't just barge in the locker room to give him a letter," Nate stated.
"Look you were part of getting the two of them together, now you need to be part of getting them back together. They are having some serious issues and she is too stubborn to fix it herself, so I need to help. He needs to read this before the end of the game. I hope he'll be willing to hear me out after he reads this note. He really needs to know what's going on, and I'm the only one that can tell him. Please Nate, this is sooooooooooo important," she pleaded.
"I'll see what I can do, but I'm not making any promises."
"Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!" Gloria exclaimed practically jumping up and down. "You won't regret it!"
"We'll see about that," Nate replied.


Nate made his way down to the locker room for the end of the second period. He had a bad feeling about this and was just hoping this little stunt wouldn't cost him his job.
When the boys came off the ice Nate stopped Sidney.
"Uh, Mr. Crosby? I was asked to give you this and told you need to read is as soon as possible," Nate said trying to hand Sid the envelope.
"You know better than this Nate, NOT during a game," Sidney snapped and started to head for the locker room door.
"But Mr. Crosby, it's important...it's about Miss Jones!"
Sid stopped dead in his tracks. He turned around and ripped the envelope out of Nate's hands and disappeared into the locker room.

Sid tore open the envelope even before changing out of his sweaty gear. He wiped the sweat from his forehead and focused on the letter. It read:

Dear Mr. Crosby,
My name is Gloria McDonald and Bekah Jones is a very good friend of mine. I know this is somewhat peculiar and perhaps even inappropriate, but Bekah has been a tremendous help to me and my family and I am just trying to return the favour.
I am aware that Bekah recently ended your relationship abruptly without giving you much of a reason. That's where I come in. I know the real reason, but I also know that out of respect and loyalty to you and your family, she will never tell you. I believe you need to know what has really transpired over the past few days and would really appreciate a chance to tell you.
My husband and I are both here today, using Bekah's tickets. If you can spare some time to listen to my story after the game, I promise you you will not regret it. My husband has no idea what is going on and I figured we could tell him Bekah arranged for us to meet the team after the game. I hope you will find it in your heart to hear what I have to say.
Thank you for your time and I look forward to meeting you (hopefully!)
Sincerely,
Gloria McDonald

Sid read the letter several more times but was still unsure whether or not to believe it. Could a complete stranger really hold the key to the answers he was so desperately searching for? What choice did he have? He was getting nowhere on his own.
Nate was waiting for him when he left the locker room.
"Is this lady for real Nate?"
"It appears so. She seems to know an awful lot about what's been going on lately, and her husband is the man Bekah brought to the game the other night."
"That guy is this Gloria's husband?"
"That's right. Huge fan of yours too!"
"Well, don't I feel like a total ass!" Sid said shaking his head in disbelief. "Okay, go back to them and tell them that Bekah has arranged for them to come back and meet the team after the game. Bring them down to the locker room after the media scrum and I'll take it from there."
"You got it sir!" Nate said trying to hide his excitement.
"And Nate? Thank you. I owe you...again!"
"My pleasure Mr. Crosby."
"Please call me Sid. I think we're beyond formalities."

Sid and the rest of the team took the ice after the intermission and he skated by Bekah's seats. Sure enough, there was the same guy he had seen with Bekah only two days before and a woman he assumed was this Gloria, sitting beside him. Sid looked at her and she smiled at him. He nodded in return. God, now all he wanted was for this damn game to be over so he could hear what she had to say. He couldn't believe his fate lied in the hands of a stranger. He could barely keep from jumping out of his skin.

Nate appeared at the McDonald's side just before the puck dropped for the third period.
"Excuse me Scott and Gloria? Mr. Crosby wanted me to inform you that as a special surprise, Bekah has arranged for you to meet the team after the game. I will be back to take you down to the locker room when the game is over."
Scott's jaw dropped to the ground and he was unable to speak.
"Thank you very much Nate," Gloria said giving him a wink.
"It's my pleasure," he replied returning the knowing gesture.

6 comments:

Kayla Elizabeth said...

I can't wait to see how the meeting goes lol

Aeryn said...

So close, I hope it goes well! I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for your next update!

Sam said...

Oh my, I can't wait to see how it goes! Hopefully everything goes well and Sidney doesn't 'shoot the messenger' for what she's about to tell him about his dad. Please post more soon! =]

Lauren said...

"Well, don't I feel like an ass?" - I laughed so hard when I read that


and I love Gloria. I can't wait to see how their meeting goes! :)

Val said...

One of my favorite chapters in your story so far...I am laughing because I agree with Lauren's comment about Sid feeling like an ass...more soon, please...

Ellen said...

Wow, what a story, i just read the whole thing. Can't wait for an update!!!!