I was used to spending holidays by myself, but it sure didn't make it any easier. To make it worse, the boys chose to sleep over at their friend's house and celebrate with them and Lily was working.
It was about 8:00 when my phone alerted me to a new text message. I was almost afraid to look. The last message I had received was from Sidney and that didn't go so well. I'm sure he was still furious with me. I didn't know what else to do but let him believe Scott and I were together. He was right, it was cruel, but maybe it would make it easier for him.
"Having a wonderful time. Game was good (for a hockey game) Your boy was on fire! Dinner is fab. Can't wait to tell you everything. Have a happy new year. Glo."
I closed my phone. I was happy that I was able to do something for Scott and Gloria. Their whole lives had been inside the four walls of the hospital and they needed to get out and spend time together. And Sid was on fire? Maybe he was being fueled by his anger towards me. As much as it killed me inside to think of him hurting because of me, it was better me than his father.
I settled in for a long night of solitude. I got in my favourite flannel pj's, popped some popcorn, got my favourite blanket and put in my favourite movie of all time, Pure Country. God I loved George Strait! He wasn't the best actor but I loved the whole premise of the story: scorned woman falls in love with handsome stranger that turns out to be one of the most famous country singers in the world and she has no idea who he is! Gets me every time!
It was just about at the best part of the movie, when she finds out who he really is, and I was poised with my box of Kleenex, ready for one of the most beautiful love songs ever (I always said it would be my wedding song) when a knock at my door startled me. I stopped the DVD, angry that I was interrupted. It was probably Mr. Parker with a last ditch effort to get me to celebrate the New Year with them. "No one should be alone tonight," they had told me earlier when I declined their invitation.
I wrapped the blanket around me and opened the door. I was not expecting what was waiting for me on the other side.
"Wh...wh...what...are you doing here?" I asked totally stunned.
"We need to talk."
"I've said everything I need to say, you should go," I say trying to shut the door.
"Maybe you have, but I haven't." He muscled his way through the door like I was a feather leaning against it. "Now you're going to listen!"
"Sidney, there really is nothing left to say," I said softly. "It's over, why can't you just accept it and leave me alone?"
"Because I know."
"Know what?"
"I know."
"I'm so not in the mood for this right now Sid. You should go," I said grabbing his arm and trying to guide him back to the door.
"NO!" he raised his voice to me and it took me off guard. Stopped me dead in my tracks actually. He turned around to face me, held both my arms and looked deep into my eyes.
"You can stop the charade now Beks," he said taking a softer tone once again. He rested his forehead against mine. "It's over... I know."
"For Christ sakes," I said pulling back from him. "You know what?"
He tightened the grip he had on my arms and said, "the truth. I know the truth. About my father, everything."
I felt my legs give out underneath me and he acted instinctively to catch me before I fell. He guided me over to the couch, and there we sat. Silent. I was trying to fathom the words he just said to me but I couldn't.
After a long reflection I asked, "How? Who?" I was pretty sure I knew the answer to both my questions.
"Before I tell you, you have to promise me you won't be angry with her."
"Lily! I knew it! How could she?" Too late, I was mad!
"It wasn't Lily."
Now I was confused. "Well then who?"
"Promise you won't be angry."
"I can't make that promise."
"Promise?"
"Fine. Now who?"
He hesitated before speaking. "I met your friends Scott and Gloria this afternoon," he began.
"I can't believe her! How could she..."
"Ah ah ah. You promised."
My anger was starting to be taken over by fear.
"What exactly did she tell you?"
"Everything. The whole story. What my dad said to you at the game...everything. Beks, I'm soooooooooooooo sorry. He had no right to say those things to you. It was wrong," Sidney said thoughtfully as he reached for my hand.
"You...you believe her?" I asked doubtfully.
"Yes," he replied softly. "But Bekah, it was lies, all lies. He was just angry with me because he asked me to stop spending time with you and I refused. He figured if he couldn't control me, he'd try and get to you... and it worked. He made up that bullshit story about hurting my career and sponsorships because he knew it would take something drastic to tear us apart. But it's over now. The truth is out and we are free to be together."
Sidney leaned in to kiss me but I backed away. I was having a hard time digesting this information he was sharing with me.
"Wait a second! Just like that? You think you can just swoop in here and tell me you know the truth and poof! Now we can be together? I'm sorry pal, but it doesn't work that way! The fact still remains that your father doesn't like me and he doesn't want us to be together. I can't be in a relationship with that kind of added pressure. New relationships are hard enough. This one would be even worse given who you are. I can't handle this right now, probably not ever."
"What are you saying?"
I sighed. "I'm saying, I think maybe your dad was right. Maybe not about what would happen, but about us being together. I just don't think it's a good idea." I could literally feel my heart breaking as I said those words to him yet again.
He sat silently, not even looking at me. He got up off the couch and took a few steps. 'This is it,' I thought. 'He'll be out of your life forever in a few short seconds.' I fought to hold back the tears. Before I knew what was happening he was kneeling on the ground in front of me and held both my hands in his. He was looking at me with those caramel eyes and my heart instantly started to beat faster.
"I didn't want it to be like this, but you haven't left me any choice." His voice was barely above a whisper. He gripped my hands tightly and pulled them towards his chest, inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly. I could feel his hands trembling.
"Rebekah Jones, I love you," he said kissing both my hands. "I love you and I want to be with you. You and your boys. Nothing or no one is going to change that." He looked up at me only to find the familiar sight of me crying. "Do you love me?"
After a few moments of sobbing I managed to find a bit of a voice.
"I...Sid...oh god...it's...it's so...complicated." I struggled to find the right words.
"It's not complicated. This is probably the least complicated part of our whole relationship. Do you love me, yes or no?"
I dropped my head trying to gather my thoughts. I was so tired of fighting. Tired of struggling, tired of lying. I just wanted to be done with it all. Life is much too short. I took another deep breath before raising my head and looking into those beautiful eyes.
"Yes, I love you."
There. Done.
Judging by the look on his face, you would think that was not the answer he was expecting.
"You...you do?"
"Of course I do. Sidney, how could I not?"
The beautiful bright smile that had been missing from his face appeared once again before he jumped up, scooped me up in a bear hug and twirled me around in one fluid motion. He put me back on the ground and wrapped his arms around my waist. He leaned his forehead against mine once again. Through that smile of his he managed to say, "You love me."
"And you love me," I retorted. "Now what?"
He smiled that oh so devilish smile while pulling back from me just enough to cup my face in his masculine hands.
"Now this," he said leaning in still smiling.
His luscious lips grazed mine ever so gently and my knees went weak at the moment of impact. He teased my lips with his until neither of us could stand it anymore. His mouth enveloped mine and with one smooth motion, parted my lips with his powerful tongue. It was warm and wet and moved expertly around mine until we found a perfect rhythm. His hands moved around from my face where one found it's place on the back of my head running it's fingers through my hair, while the other one made it's final destination the small of my back. Gently caressing and pulling me closer, tightly against his well toned body. I reached up to run my fingers through the deep brown curls that were starting to form at the nape of his neck, then slowly moved down to trace the outline of every muscle in his back, each one quivering as I caressed it. He picked me up and carried me to the couch laying me down gently never removing his lips from mine. We were both lost in the moment when a strange yet familiar voice startled me and I started to giggle. It was George, or rather his character 'Dusty' getting ready to sing the song he wrote for the woman he was in love with. Sid must of have put me down on top of the remote.
I gasped. "You have to hear this," I said excitedly. "This is one of the most beautiful songs ever written. It's so raw and pure. I used to dream that it would be my wedding song, preferably when I married him."
"Competition huh? I'll have to do something about that," Sid chuckled.
"Yeah, cause George Strait is going to come in here and sweep me off my feet!"
"I think I'll be the only one doing the sweeping around here," he said in a husky voice that I had never heard before. As the music began, he pulled me up into his arms.
"What are you doing?" I asked.
"Dancing with the most beautiful girl in the world on New Year's Eve," he replied tenderly.
I couldn't do anything but melt into his arms. This was by far the most romantic thing anyone had ever done for me. We began swaying in time to the music. As the words began, Sidney was looking deep into my eyes.
Our love is unconditional
We knew it from the start
I see it in your eyes
You can feel it from my heart
From here on after
Let's stay the way we are right now
And share all the love and laughter
That a lifetime will allow
I cross my heart
And promise to
Give all I've got to give to make all your dreams come true
In all the world
You'll never find
A love as true as mine.
You will always be the miracle
That makes my life complete
And as long as there's a breath in me
I'll make yours just as sweet
As we look into the future
It's as far as we can see
So let's make each tomorrow
Be the best
That it can be.
I cross my heart
And promise to
Give all I've got to give to make all your dreams come true
In all the world
You'll never find
A love as true as mine.
And if along the way
We find a day
It starts to storm
You've got the promise of my love
To keep you warm.
In all the world
You'll never find
A love as true as mine.
A love as true as mine.
We continued our dance long after the song had ended. A tear rolled down his cheek as he lifted my chin towards his face. He kissed me gently on the lips and whispered, "That was perfect."
He wrapped his arms around me and I snuggled into his chest. We fit perfectly together. He was big enough that I was completely enveloped by his embrace and his chin could rest on the top of my head.
"I love you Beks," he whispered in my ear.
"I love you too Sidney," I said tightening my grasp around his waist.
"Happy New Year Sidney," I said quietly.
"It certainly is," he replied before leaning down to kiss me once again.
9 comments:
Now that was an awesome, awesome payoff for all of us...more soon, please, I can't wait to see how Troy handles this new situation...you rock, girl, and I loved the George Strait part...
I absolutely LOVE that George Strait song!!
Wonderful chapter!
That was so romantic, I am glad they are finally together, I hope it works out for them - the boys are going to be so happy but I am not so sure that Troy will feel the same!!!
YES! YES! YES!
I have been waiting for this chapter for about a month now, and I finally got it! Sid and Beks are together! YES!
AMAZING CHAPTER! Please update soon. OH! I love happy stories!
That was beautiful. Thank god they're back together! I totally want to see Troy spaz out about all this. That was the perfect song for their situation. Please post more soon! =]
FINALLLY! yay I'm so glad they're back together!! Please update soon!
YES! Finally, they're back together, which is how it should be. I loved this chapter, it was incredibly sweet and well worth the wait... but what will Troy say???
AMAZING.
I cried when she finally admitted it...no lie.
Can't wait to see what your brilliant mind comes up with next!
AWWWWWWWWW...OMG.....i have read alot of cute stories b4 but this one has my fave hero in it AND its so DAMn C.U.T.E.
~k
Post a Comment