Gloria held Scott's hand as Nate led them down to the locker room. Scott was still unable to speak a coherent sentence and Gloria's nerves were starting to take over. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now that she was faced with the prospect of breaching Bekah's trust and destroying the image and respect the world's best hockey player had of his father, she wasn't so sure.
They arrived at the door of the locker room and the couple both took long deep breaths as they listened to Nate's instructions. Gloria knew that once she walked through that door there was no going back. She prayed she was doing the right thing.
Nate led them to a small room off of the locker room where there were easily another 75 people anxiously waiting.
"The players are just finishing up with the media and then they'll be out to meet and greet. Wait here and I'll be back with Mr. Crosby."
Gloria's voice was shaky as she thanked Nate and watched him walk away.
"Are you okay honey?" she asked Scott as she gently caressed his back.
"I...I'm just in shock still. I can't believe she did all this for us. How are we ever going to be able to thank her, or repay her? She is truly an incredible person."
"Yes she is, and don't worry, we'll think of something to do to thank her."
Sidney appeared at the doorway with a small entourage in front of him and Marc-Andre by his side. He surveyed the room until his eyes fell upon the face of the man that was forever engraved in his brain and the lovely woman he was with.
"That's them over there," Sid said to Marc motioning his head towards the couple.
"And that's his wife with him?"
"That's what I've been told."
"And she supposedly knows the truth about what's going on with Bekah?"
"That's what her letter said."
"Do you believe her?"
"What choice do I have? I can't get answers from anywhere else, so I'm at least going to listen to what she has to say and go from there. That's where you come in."
"What do you want me to do?" Marc asked rather surprised.
"Can you take her husband around to meet the rest of the guys? Keep him busy so I can talk to this Gloria."
"Sure, I guess. I'll do just about anything if it means we'll get the old Sid back instead of this miserable, depressing one."
"Gee thanks alot Flower!"
Nate led Sid and Marc over to where Scott and Gloria were patiently (or not so patiently in Gloria's case) waiting.
"Scott and Gloria McDonald, this is Sidney Crosby and Marc-Andre Fleury," Nate said before slipping into the background.
"It is so nice to meet both of you," Scott said nervously shaking both men's hands.
"It's nice to meet both of you as well," Sidney replied. "I understand you're friends of Bekah's. How do you know her?"
"Our son is a patient of hers at the Children's hospital," Gloria answered.
"The McDonalds?" Sidney thought out loud. "Is your son...is his name Dylan?"
"Yes it is!" Scott replied in complete surprise. "How did you know that?"
"I remember Bekah telling me about your family when you first arrived. She was really torn up when she first met you. I'm sorry for everything you and your son are going through," Sidney said thoughtfully.
"Thank you," Gloria replied. "Bekah has been a rock for us the past while. She's amazing."
"I couldn't agree more," Sidney smiled. "Scott, Marc is going to take you around and introduce you to the rest of the team if that's alright with you?"
"It's more than alright," Scott squealed. "Are you coming Gloria?"
"You go ahead and have fun. I'm just going to hang back here out of the way."
"If you say so," he said giving her a peck on the cheek before disappearing into the crowd of people with Marc.
"Shall we go somewhere a little more quiet?" Sidney asked.
"Sure," was all Gloria could manage to say.
As she followed Sidney down a short hallway into another small room, her heart started racing and the doubts she had about what she was about to do flooded her mind.
Those doubts disappeared when she sat across the table from Sidney and saw the pain and hope in his eyes. She took a deep breath and began the sad tale of which he was a main character.
"Let me just start by saying you are not going to be happy with what I am about to tell you. You will most definitely not want to believe what I have to say, but I assure you, every word is the truth. I am probably overstepping my bounds here, but I can't sit by and watch two people who so clearly belong together, be kept apart by something so stupid." Gloria took another deep breath. "Are you ready?" she asked him.
"You have my attention," Sidney replied solemnly.
Gloria slowly began telling him about the fateful night at the game. She watched his face carefully trying to read what he might be thinking, looking for clues that it was okay to continue.
When she mentioned his father's name he perked up briefly before his forehead wrinkled, his perfectly shaped eyebrows raised and his ears started to turn a light shade of pink.
"Shall I continue?" she asked cautiously.
Sidney nodded in silence. He listened in disbelief as Gloria continued with the ugly details of harsh words he couldn't believe would have come out of his father's mouth. When she was finished, he bowed his head and they sat in silence for what seemed like and eternity. She felt so bad for him. Gloria reached across the table and put her hand on top of his.
"I think it's important for you to know that she only agreed to do this because of how much she cares about you. She honestly believes what your dad has told her and that this really is the best thing for you. She would never dream of doing anything to hurt you or your career."
When Sidney finally raised his head, she was shocked to see the tears that were slowly rolling down his cheeks.
"But she has. If what you say is true, then why couldn't she tell me the truth?" he asked quietly.
"I begged her to, but she said you were so close to your father and she would not be responsible for damaging your relationship in any way. It was better for you to be mad at her, it would help you get over her faster and then you could move on."
"Move on? Did she really think I would just be able to forget about her and move on? And my father? I can't believe he would do something so deceitful and hurtful."
"The thing is, they both love you and believe they are doing what's best for you. How would Bekah know the difference? She took what your dad told her as the truth. He's just a father protecting his son and that's something she totally gets right?"
For a brief moment she saw a light in his eyes.
"She...loves me?"
UH OH!
"She's never actually said those words," Gloria said trying to cover her tracks, "but that's what I believe."
"I see," he said rather calmly. "Thank you for telling me the truth. I appreciate it. Bekah is lucky to have a friend like you."
"Are you okay?" she asked knowing it was a stupid question the minute the words left her mouth.
"Not really. I just found out that my father has filled the woman I love's head full of complete bullshit! Bullshit, that knowing her the way I do, I will never be able to convince her is bullshit!" A light bulb went off in Sidney's head at that moment.
"It all makes sense now! Why she left the game early that night, the phone calls she wouldn't answer...everything. It's all my father's doing."
Gloria had never seen a face that particular shade of red before. She started to wonder what she had done.
"So you believe me?" she asked in disbelief.
"Well, I wouldn't have before now, but yes. Earlier that day he had asked me to stop seeing her and I refused. I guess he figured if he couldn't get me to cooperate, he'd have better luck with her. Un-fucking-believable!"
"What are you going to do?" she asked hesitantly.
It was like the question was a needle that she had just popped his balloon with.
"Do?" his shoulders dropped. "I have no idea. I am so furious right now, I want to go confront my dad...ahh shit!"
"What?"
"It's New Year's Eve."
"Yeah so?" Gloria was confused by the sudden change of subject.
"I'm supposed to be at a party at Mario's...with my parents. Not exactly the proper venue for the kind of confrontation we're going to have. I don't even know if I can be in the same room with him and be civil I'm so pissed off."
"Well, ya know...nah never mind," Gloria said rather slyly.
"Ohhhhhh no, you can't do that! Finish what you were going to say."
She smiled a sneaky little smile before saying, "I was always taught that you should bring in the new year with the one you love!"
5 comments:
OH MY GOD, how can you leave it at that!!!!!!!!!!! More please, and REALLY soon!!! I'm so excited, I can't wait to see what happens next!
I don't like cliffhangers! lol
Ooh, I really hope he goes to see Becka. I am glad he beleived Gloria!
ahhhh what a cliffhanger!
I really hope he goes to see her - that will make for a much more fun new year's eve than fighting with his dumbass dad.
Yay for Gloria!!!!
More SOON, please!
Gahhh!!! Don't leave it there! Thank God for Gloria! She is my hero. If Sid does happen to oh I don't know, explode when he sees his father, at least he'll have Mario and Nathalie who know the truth! Seriously though, please post soon! =]
Post a Comment