Monday, November 15, 2010

Chapter 112

"There, that's the last box," Max said dropping the bulky box in the middle of the family room. "I can't believe you have this much stuff! It's going to take forever to put everything up!"

"Especially when you are as anal as Bekah and won't let anyone touch the tree," Lily piped up.

"Lily, be quiet!" I scolded. "Thank you Max. I appreciate you lugging up all those boxes."

"No problem bijou. I wouldn't want these delicate hands to do such hard work," he said kissing the back of my hand. "Besides, I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself before you feed me!"

"Always an ulterior motive with you Talbot," I said before digging into the first box. "Ohhhhhhhhhh, Lily look at these! They're Alex's little hand prints when he was a baby," I gushed.

"Sorry Talbot, I should have warned you that this would be a sappy walk down memory lane before you agreed to come," Lily teased.

"I don't mind," Max said, helping to dig more treasures out of the box. "It gives me more insight into what makes her tick.

"Trust me big boy, you will NEVER, be able to figure that one out," Lily laughed.

"Oh I don't' know about that. I think I'm doing a pretty good job so far," Max retorted.

I watched silently as my two very best friends in the world were having some friendly banter back and forth at my expense. They got along extremely well for both having the same type A personality. I couldn't remember a time in recent history that I felt this relaxed and content. This is exactly the kind of life; the gift really; that I've always wanted to give my children. A family to celebrate holidays with a make memories that would last a lifetime. Building traditions that they could pass down to their children when the time came. And that's what today was. This family of mine, as unconventional as it may be, was here making memories for Alex and Jake to keep with them always.

"Earth to Bekah...helloooooooooo, you in there?" Lily quipped as she waved her hand in front of my face.

"What? I'm just...watching. Look at them Lily. I just...I'm so..."

Lily linked her arm through mine and rested her head on my shoulder, looking at the same heartwarming scene I was watching. Max was holding Jake so he could hang his special ornaments from the garland on the mantel. Alex was standing next to them, leaning against Max's side and handing them more ornaments.

"This is what you've always wanted isn't it Beks? The picture perfect family life for the boys?" Lily said.

"Of course it is. I swore when I had children I would give them the kind of life that I never had; a mother and father who actually love each other and adore their children and put all their resources into giving them the best damn childhood possible. One where they have no worries and they can just be happy kids who play hockey and football and hang out with their friends. I wanted them to have two parents who wanted all that for them and felt like they were put here to make it all happen. And as much as I hate admitting that I'm not enough for the boys...look at them. Clearly they need more than I've been giving them. That right there is what I've waited the last twelve years to see."

"You are that kind of parent Beks. You are the best freaking mother I have ever met. You are all those things that you just described and more. I don't know anyone who has made more sacrifices for their children than you have so don't even go down that road, you hear me?

"Yeah, I hear you," I answered as I looked back towards the two loves of my life.

"I do have to admit, that is a very pretty picture. You should be happy sooooo, why do you look so sad?"

"I'm not sad, I'm just...it...it was supposed to be Sidney. It should be Sidney in there with them, not Max."

"Should it? Maybe someone is trying to tell you something. Maybe things are exactly the way they're supposed to be."

****************************************************

"Ughhhh, I feel disgusting," Max said collapsing on the couch.

"Me too," I said falling into the cushion beside him.

"Me three," Lily said from the chair across from us.

"I can't believe I ate that much. I'm gonna have to do at least 50 miles on the bike to work off that pie."

"I can't believe I have to go to work now," Lily said. "Maybe I can call in stuffed."

We all laughed and then cursed Lily for making us laugh with our full bellies.

"I should go or I'm going to be late. Thanks Beks, for that delicious feast; I'm sure I'll be cursing you when I'm running up and down the stairs later. Have fun decorating the tree."

"We will. Do you want me to bring you leftovers later?"

"Ughh, don't even mention food, I don't think I'm going to eat for a week!"

"Well I'll see you later anyways,"

"What? Why?"

"I'm going to visit Sam. I don't want him to be alone all night on Thanksgiving."

"Okay, I guess I'll see you later then. Talbot, it's been a pleasure as always."

"It has. You take it easy tonight eh. Don't work to hard."

"Me? Never. Night all."



Max was sprawled out on the couch with me cuddled up next to him. Jake was snuggled into his other side and Alex was snuggled up to me. I caught myself smiling until I thought about Lily's words. I mean, she couldn't be right could she? Of course not. This is not how it's supposed to be, I mean, after swearing off men for eternity, there's a reason that Sidney finally captured my heart right? I just can't forget everything I love about him; but I can't forget everything that pisses me off either.

"Bijou?"

"Mmm hmm?"

"Do you mind if I go to see Sam with you? I hate the thought of him all by himself."

"I'm sure he'd love to see you."




Max carried Jake into the house and put him in bed when we returned from the hospital. Alex was barely coherent but able to get himself to bed.

"Do you want me to tuck you in too bijou?"

"I'm a big girl, I think I can take care of myself."

"Oh I know you can, but everyone deserves to be taken care of once in a while. You took care of all of us today so let me return the favour. Why don't you go get ready for bed and I'll make you some tea."

I knew better than to argue with him, so I just smiled and did as I was told. I washed my face and put a pair of flannels on and crawled into bed. Max appeared a few minutes later with my cup of tea.

"Thank you. I'm freezing so hopefully this will warm me up a little."

"Come here," he said climbing in beside me but staying on top of the covers. I snuggled in next to him and let the heat from his body envelop my own.

"Wanna watch a movie?" he asked.

The sly smirk that appeared on my face told him what he was in for.

"Non, not that country shit," he protested. "Anything but that!"

"But Maxie, it's my favourite," I tried as I batted my eyelashes at him.

"I know and you've already made me watch it like a hundred times."

"Please Maxie?"

"You are incorrigible!"

"Yes but you're going to go put the movie in aren't you?"

"Yes," he grumbled.

*************************************************

I thought it was strange that there were no lights on at Bekah's when I arrived; it wasn't really that late, just after eleven. I let myself in with the key she had given me. I saw light from the TV coming from the bedroom so I headed in that direction.

As I got closer to the door, I heard a song that had been forever burned into my mind and smiled at the memories it brought back. Unfortunately, my smile was short lived when I saw what was waiting for me through the doorway. My heart sank when I saw my girlfriend asleep in the arms of my teammate.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The scene with Max and the boys setting up the tree was so cute. Max is awesome....I loved the ending too!!

Absolutely amazing update, keep it up! :D

Cathy said...

Great update! So glad that Max was there for her and the boys. He is just so sweet with them. Of course, not too suprised to see that Sid didn't make anytime for her on Thanksgiving. I thought Mario's talk would straighten him out and he would show up to help with the tree. Can't wait to see what happens now that he found them together in such a sweet and loving way.

Anonymous said...

...foreboding music here.... fabulous update with me thinking, "WHERE is Sid?" well, here he is, a little late perhaps?
Cannot wait to see how THIS all turns out!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, I really want to see where this goes. I don't know what to think about the Max or Sid situation................

Anonymous said...

I know you're probably super busy, but this is my favorite fan fic, so could you please update? Please, please. :)

pensfan4life said...

Update coming this week I promise!