Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Chapter 107

"So tell me the truth, not what you think I want hear okay? Promise?"
"I promise."
"Do you think it was asking too much of him?" I asked Max after explaining what had happened only an hour before.
"You gotta know by now how hard it is for him to go anywhere in this town without causing a major ruckus..."
"Don't make excuses Max, I just want a yes or no answer. Am I asking too much for him to take ten minutes out of his life to make a kid's day?"
"Well, when you put it that way...no. But..."
"No buts."
"C'mon bijou it's not that simple."
"Yes it is. I'm not asking him to parade around the hospital and make a spectacle out of himself; and it's not like he doesn't sneak in there all the time to visit me for a few minutes, so what's the difference?" I asked exasperated as I threw myself against the back of the couch.
"I don't know," Max said quietly looking down at his hands. "I don't know. Maybe you just caught him at a bad time, I mean the season starts tomorrow and he's feeling major pressure, not to mention Troy's already on his ass. Give him a little bit to get back in the swing of the season and I'm sure he'll change his mind."
Max joined me against the back of the couch.
"I can't believe the season hasn't even started yet and..." I trailed off.
Max put his arm around my shoulders and pulled me in close to him.
"I know," he whispered kissing my forehead, "but you said you knew what you were getting into with this."
"I know," I groaned. "But I figured it would be tough to find time to be together and we wouldn't be able to go out in public, I never thought he'd deny me 10 minutes to make the day of a 16 year old kid. Isn't that what they praise him for in the media and all over the place? How much he gives back to kids?"
"I don't know what to say bijou."
"There is nothing to say Max. There is no excuse that will make it okay."

I cuddled into him and we sat in comfortable silence until I heard the soft, heavy breathing; not quite a snore, of my best friend. Then the guilt set in.
"Max, wake up."
"Hmmm?"
"Max I am sooooo sorry! It's late, I should have never asked you to come over here tonight. You have your first game tomorrow night and I just shouldn't have bothered you."
"Bijou, it's fine. I don't need a lot of sleep; I am a finely tuned athletic machine!"
I couldn't help but burst out laughing.
"What's so funny?" he asked pretending to be hurt.
"Nothing," I managed between gasps for air. "Seriously though, I am sorry for dragging you out this late."
He pulled me into a hug and said, "Seriously, it's fine. After you being there for me through that whole...thing, it's the least I could do. You know I'm here for you bijou; no matter what."
"I know." Silence. "Max?"
"Yeah?" he yawned.
"I'm glad you're here."
"Me too," he said sleepily. "Since I came all the way over here can I ask you a favour?"
"Anything."
"I am so wiped; is it okay if I just crash here tonight? I don't want to drive."
"Of course! You can take my bed, I'll stay out here."
"I am not putting you out of your own bed, I'll take the couch."
"Absolutely NOT! You have a game tomorrow and I am not going to have you all cramped up from sleeping on this lumpy thing. We're being ridiculous; we are two grown ups..."
"Well you are."
"There is no reason we can't sleep in the same bed."
"Hmmm? I don't know if I'll be able to keep my hands to myself," he said wiggling his eyebrows.
"You're not funny," I said dryly, pulling him up from the couch. "You best be careful cause you know I can kick your ass!"
"Ooooh, you know I like my women feisty!"
"Take it easy superstar, you're keeping all your clothes on!"
"Superstar huh? Hmm, I like it! But I can not sleep with a shirt on, sorry."

We were laying in bed in the complete darkness. It was silent. I was waiting for the sound of Max's breathing to let me know he was asleep, but instead I felt him grab my hand.
"Tell me about Sam," he whispered.
"You need to sleep."
"Please, I want to know about him."

I told Max all about Sam and his crazy antics and finished by saying how much I adored him.
"He sounds hilarious; and like a great kid. And hey, he's got great taste if he's so enamoured with you."
"How could anyone not be?" I said sarcastically.
"I wish I knew," he said quietly.
He pulled me into his side and kissed my forehead. My hand naturally fell on his chest and I immediately thought 'Hairy...how...manly. Definitely not bare and boyish.'
"I don't know how you do what you do. All those sick kids; it's just not fair and I have no idea how you can go to work every day and be like a ray of sunshine to them and their families. I admire you so much bijou. You really are amazing."
I squeezed him letting him know I appreciated his sentiments.
"You're right, it's not fair that these kids have the burden of fighting for their lives before they actually begin living, but someone has to be there for them and be positive and supportive; that's my job."
"I just think...you are just...I just..love you."
I gave him another squeeze before telling him I loved him too and drifted off into a deep and peaceful sleep.

When I woke up the next morning, the spot in the bed beside me was cold and empty, but on the pillow there was a note.
Bijou,
I wanted to be out of the way before inquiring minds wanted to know. Thank you for allowing me to be there for you the way you've been there for me. I am honoured you trust me enough to share your life with. Don't worry your pretty little head about this, Sid loves you and I know he will see how important this is to you and he'll come through. He always does.
See you after the game tonight.
XOXO
Max
PS Don't for get to wish the superstar good luck!

The Pens won and both my guys had a goal. The mood in the locker room was upbeat except in one particular stall. The one with all the lights, cameras and microphones gathered in front of it. The mood coming from that stall was subdued and stoic. The tone was even and emotionless. By the time the last camera had vacated, all that was left was exhaustion.
Everyone had already left for whatever club they were celebrating their victory at. Max was nice enough to wait with me for Sidney to finish. When he finally came out of the locker room I met him with a hug and a warm smile.
"Great game tonight babe," I whispered in his ear as I kissed his cheek.
"Thanks."
"Everyone went to Diesel already, are you two in mon ami?" Max asked.
"Not tonight Max. I just want to go home."
"I guess I'll catch you guys later then," Max said with a questioning look on his face. I knew he was silently asking me if I'd be okay.
I nodded and said goodnight before slipping my hand into Sidney's. There was no real attempt to reciprocate. We just walked through the hallways deep within the arena.
"You hungry? We could go get something to eat?" I asked hopefully.
"Everywhere would be too busy after a game; probably not a good idea."
"Do you want to come over? I could make you something."
His phone rang before he had the chance to answer.
"Great," he mumbled. "That didn't take long."
He pushed ignore and shoved the phone back in his pocket. "Troy," he said simply.
"So? Do you want to come over? I can make you a late night breakfast?"
"I'm tired. I just want to go home, get my lickings from Troy and go to bed."
"Sure," I said flatly. We had reached the exit door.
"We should say goodnight here. The parking lot will be full of people waiting for autographs. Did you drive?" he added, almost as an after thought.
"Yes."
For the first time that night he tightened his grip around my hand.
"Thanks for coming tonight Beks. I'm glad you were here."
"Seems like it," I muttered.
"Pardon?"
"Nothing. I'll just say goodnight." I leaned in to give him a kiss and he gave me a kiss on the cheek; you know, the kind you give your grandmother or a friend of your friend's sister.
"You can go first," he said. "I'll wait a few minutes."
"Whatever," I replied and started to open the door.
"Beks?"
'Okay,' I thought, 'here it comes. Some sort of emotion. Maybe an I love you.'
"Yes Sidney?"
"Goodnight. I'll call you tomorrow."

6 comments:

JustAWriter said...

O sidney..Im gonna let it slide becuase he is young in this story...but he made more of an effort to get her...he should probally keep that up ...shes gotten used to it


ok now that venting is over....GREAT UPDATE...MY VERY FIRST STORY THAT I FOUND AN D STILL MY FAVORITE

Anonymous said...

sid, wtf is up with you!
get out of your stupid funk and be a man.

Anonymous said...

oooo..he is starting to show the side we know is there.. Bekah needs to be strong here and not let him get away with anything! (I do love her friendship with Max..) Great Update, can't wait for 108

Cathy said...

WTF Sid?? Can't stand that he is treating her like that, they've dated before during the season and he wasn't that cold and distance to her before. Wonder whats up with him??

Anonymous said...

Another awesome update!!!! But not going to lie, the more of this story I read the more I begin to love the idea of Bekah and Max being together, more than anything...I get a weird feeling Max would like that too...hmmm.... LOVED it though. Keep them coming :D

Mata said...

I love this chapter!!! I read it all the time.

Just thought I'd say that.