***I guess I should learn never to promise something if I can't come through. Sorry everyone. Here's the next chapter, hope you think it was worth the wait! ***
Day after day went by and for the first time that I could remember, I was happy. Not just happy - blissfully happy!
Sid and I had been getting along with not so much as an argument between us. He spent his free evenings (which were few) with the boys and I. It was like we had fallen into this sort of stepford-like family routine when he was home. He would pick the boys up from school and do their homework with them while I made dinner. Alex and Jake would have their baths and t.v. time while Sidney and I did the dishes. Sidney would hang out with Alex in his room, either reading or just having 'guy time' for fifteen minutes while I was tucking Jake in, then we'd switch. Once the boys were in bed, it was our time. This usually consisted of watching a hockey game or some other sports related show while he stretched his ever-growing, mammoth legs out and I laid with my head in his lap. Our fingers would intertwine and he'd playfully stroke my hair, which more often than not would make me fall asleep. When whatever he was watching was over, he'd wake me up or carry me to bed, tuck me in and kiss me ever so sweetly before wishing me sweet dreams and going home to the Lemieux's. The only time this would change was if I was working a rare afternoon or night shift. Even then, the only difference was I was not there. Sid did the whole 'parental' thing and would stay at the house until I got home.
Yes, we had very quickly fallen into this natural, comfortable sort of life, but I honestly thought it was just because it was that whole fate thing that brought Sid and I together and it was just 'right'.
The Olympic break was coming up and I was looking forward to having Sid all to myself - no interviews, no commercials, no meetings, and more importantly, no games! We were cuddled up on the couch one night when I thought I'd tell him some of my plans for us.
"So I was thinking...", I started playfully tracing my fingers up and down his arm.
"Uh oh! That can't be a good thing," he replied.
"That's not funny!"
"I'm sorry sweetheart, what were you going to say?"
"Never mind, I don't want to tell you now," I retorted, trying to act all huffy.
"You know you want to," Sid whispered huskily into my neck while nibbling on my ear."
"Oh that's so not fair," I moaned. "You play dirty Crosby."
"Only to get what I want, so spill it or I'll be forced to bring out the big guns!" he said continuing his assault from my ear down my neck.
"Okay, okay, okay, you win!"
"That's what I like to hear! So you've been thinking..."
"I was thinking about some things we could do while you're on the Olympic break. I could take a day or two off so we could spend some quality time together, and Alex has a hockey tournament in Harrisburg next weekend, he'd be thrilled if we could all go together."
His silence and the look on his face said it all.
"I'm sorry," I began. "Too much?"
"No, no it's not that. I'd love to go to the tournament with you guys, it's just... I can't. I already made plans to go visit some of the guys in Rimouski and then go home. I had no idea you were planning anything."
"Oh," was the only word I could manage to squeak out. I tried to mask the disappointment in my voice. "I didn't think...you didn't tell me..." I said as I sat up and tucked my knees up under my chin.
Sidney placed his hand on my back and began drawing in a circular motion and rested his head on my shoulder.
"Why don't you come up to Nova Scotia after Alex's tournament? I can show you where I'm from and we can have our quality time up there."
"Where? At your parent's house?" I snapped. "I can't just take off for a week Sid, the kids have school."
"Can't they stay at the Parker's for a few days?"
"I can't just dump my kids off whenever I feel like it."
"That's not what I meant."
"I know. Look, I'm tired. I think you should get going."
"It's only 9:30. I'm not going to leave in the middle of a fight; especially when we leave for a road trip tomorrow."
"We're not fighting. It's fine. You have the right to make plans for your time off. We can talk about it when you get back from the road trip."
"I'm not coming back before the break. I'm going home right from New York."
"So this is our last night together?"
"I guess it is."
I wrapped my arms around his neck and he returned the gesture. When we began to pull away, Sidney gently brushed his lips against mine before enveloping my mouth with his. I tried to hold back my tears as so many thoughts were battling in my head.
"You'd better go," I whispered resting my forehead against his. "I'm sure you have lots of packing to do."
"I still have lots of time for that. I want to be with you for a bit longer."
"I need to get up early and you have lots to do. Why don't you call me at work before you leave tomorrow?"
"Are you sure you're okay with all this."
"Of course I'm sure," I said plastering a fake smile on my face.
It was three days into the break and I was doing the best I could to not let Sid see, or rather hear how upset I actually was. It was easier when he was on the road trip because they lost all but one of their games and Sid was moody so our conversations were short. I hadn't talked to Sid since he got to Rimouski despite his promise to call me every day and I was starting to get angry..and worried.
I walked into Dylan's room with his afternoon meds and was surprised by what I saw. Dylan was sitting up in his crib giggling at the stuffed penguin that was dancing it's way along the bed rail. Upon closer inspection of the dancing penguin, I could see it was wearing a tiny jersey with the number 25 on it and it was the big penguin that wore the same number who was making him dance.
"Allo mon petite bijou! Comment ça va?"
"Uh bien merci Max. What are you doing here?"
"I was here visiting a friend and thought I'd drop by to see my little buddy here," he replied as he tickled Dylan's nose with the penguin.
I injected Dylan's meds into his IV bag and looked at Max with a raised eyebrow.
"A friend huh?" I questioned.
Max looked at me with those big blue eyes ('were his eyes always that blue?') and I warned him to choose his words carefully because I'd know if he was lying.
"Okaaaay...so there is no friend; but I did come here for a good reason!"
"And what would that be?"
"I came to ask you if I could take you to dinner tonight."
"I don't think that would be a very good idea Max," I said as I moved to the other side of the crib to check Dylan's wires.
"Why? We haven't hung out for a while."
"And you know why that is don't you Max?"
"Right, so we don't piss golden boy off. Well the way I see it, he abandoned you for two weeks and you have to eat right?"
"Max, stop it. You're inner bitterness is starting to come out and for the record, Sid did not abandon me. He went home on his vacation. ('You're damn right he abandoned me!) Why didn't you go home?"
"I am, just not till closer to the end of next week. I'd go crazy if I were there for the whole 2 weeks."
"I thought you were close with your family?"
"I am but neither of my brothers are going to be there until next week, so I'll go then. Now how about that dinner?"
"You are very persistent Mr. Talbot, but sadly I have the boys home tonight so going out for dinner is not in the cards."
"I see," he said in a deflated voice.
I watched as he went over to Dylan and made sure he had his new friend and kissed him on the top of his bald head.
"I should be going. I'll see you around Bekah. Be good little guy," Max called as he reached for the door handle.
"Max!" I called after him.
"Oui?"
"I can't go out, but... why don't you come to the house and have dinner with me and the boys?"
6 comments:
awesome update!!! cliff hanger is killing me!! please update soon!
Ahh! Completely unexpected..
Can't wait to see what Sid has to say about this one. Hopefully he doesn't go too wild..
Sid better not run into any temptation, and she better not give into any with Max! You gotta update!
wow, didn't see the end coming, but love the update - more soon!
omgosh, somebody's gunna get in trouble.
awww loved it :)
i hate when they fight though :(
Post a Comment