Thursday, February 26, 2009

Chapter 71

Lily and I took our seats and waited for the guys to come out for warm ups.

"I'm really glad you could come with me tonight Lil. It seems like forever since we were able to spend any time together," I told my best friend.

"I know. Working opposite shifts has really put a damper on our social time, but at least it works for me staying with the boys while you're working. I love those kids ya know."

"Believe me, they love you too and so do I. I can't thank you enough for helping me out with the boys and everything else this last little while. I appreciate it."

The Pens came flying out of the runway and onto the ice. God I loved watching them just skating around their end before they started taking shots, it had to be my favourite thing about coming to the games. Just then, Sid skated by and gave me a little wink. I smiled in acknowledgement.

"If you really wanted to thank me, you could get me one of those! Damn he's gorgeous!"

"Hey, watch it! That's my boyfriend you're drooling over. Besides, they broke the mould when they made him."

"Your what?"

"Boyfriend."

"Since when?" Lily's high pitched scream rang out bringing the attention of about 50 people sitting around us with it.

"Will you keep your voice down, everyone's looking at us."

"I'm sorry, but you just blurt out that the best player in the NHL, not to mention one of the hottest is now your boyfriend and you want me to be quiet!"

"Yes, that's exactly what I'm asking."

"When did this happen?" Lily asked hungry for details.

"New Year's. He found out about his dad; everything he did to keep us apart and we talked through it. I was still determined to stay away from him until he told me he was in love with me and forced me to admit that I was in love with him and that was it. We just kinda happened. We both agreed that we were not going to tell anyone except for you, his family, Mario and Marc and Colby. I don't want the boys to know yet. They think were just friends anyways, so it works. Anyways, he left for the road trip the next day and just got home yesterday and here we are."

"How did he find out?"

"Gloria told him. Don't ask how because it's a long story."

"So, you've been holding out on me since New Years? And you call yourself my best friend!"

"I am your best friend Lil, it just kinda happened so fast, then he was gone and you and I have both been so busy, but I'm telling you now and that's what matters. Forgive me?"

Lily thought about it for a minute. "Forgiveness will require gifts," she smirked and I knew she wasn't really mad at me.

"Hmm, What kind of gift?"

Just then a loud bang startled the both of us. We looked up to see Max Talbot smirking after shooting a puck at the glass right in front of us.

"Oh-my-God! Can I have one of those?" Lily said without taking her eyes off Max.

"Oh Lily, that is one road you do NOT want to travel! I hear he's quite a womanizer."

"Then the ride might be fun!" was Lily's only reply.




Lily and I watched with disappointment as the Pens lost to the Thrashers 4-3. The physicality continued over from the previous game. Sid was hooked and high-sticked yet he was the one that got penalized for unsportsmanlike when he pointed out the infractions to the refs. I'm sure there were more than a few colourful words spewing from his lips, but nevertheless, it was bullshit.

Sid was outraged. I knew he was irritated with himself for letting Kovalchuk get under his skin again. Even Don Cherry stuck up for Sid after the missed calls. I knew it was not going to be pleasant after the game and momentarily debated leaving without seeing Sid but opted not to make the situation worse.

Lily and I waited in the family lounge after the game. Players were coming out a few at a time and I exchanged pleasantries with them. Most of them remembered me from the family skate before Christmas. A few minutes later Marc emerged from the locker room with Max. They made their way over to us and Lily grasped my arm.

"Hey Bekah, how are you?"

"I'm good Marc, how about yourself?"

"Oh, can't complain," he said giving me that trademark grin.

'Really, after a loss he's really this chipper?' I thought.

Max gave him a little nudge in the ribs.

"So, I don't think I've met your friend," Marc quickly said.

"I'm sorry, this is my friend Lily. Lily this is Marc and..."

"Uh Max," Max said extending his arm and shaking my hand. He and Lily locked eyes and shook hands a little too long without breaking their gaze. I looked at Marc and he looked at me and just shook his head. He coughed and cleared his throat to get Max's attention and Max quickly dropped Lily's hand.

"So Bekah, you're a friend of Sid's?"

"Yes."

"I'm sorry to hear that. It's a bad night to be waiting for him, he's pissed! I don't think he's going to be very good company tonight."

"Don't worry about her, she can handle Sid. She's put him in his place more than once," Marc laughed.

"Really? I'm fascinated! Someone actually stood up to golden boy?"

"You wouldn't?"

"Stand up to Sid? Not a chance! I'd like to keep my job. Pissing off super star is not the way to do that!"

"That's a little harsh Max," Marc said. "Leave the guy alone. If you put up with even half the shit he has to, you'd be a little crusty too."

"Whatever Flower," Max said rolling his eyes. "We're going to go grab a drink at Diesel, do you ladies care to join us?" Max asked.

I looked at Lily and her eyes were pleading with me to say yes, but before I got a chance to answer, Sid came out of the locker room like a freight train. Without slowing down or making eye contact with anyone he said, "Let's go," and kept walking.

I looked at Marc, who mouthed the words 'I'm sorry', then to Max who said, "You'd better run, golden boy beckons."

"Lily?" I asked questioningly.

"Go, I'll be fine. I drove remember?"

"Thanks Lil, you're the best! I'll call you later."

I turned and ran to catch up to Sid, but not before I heard Marc say, "I sure wouldn't want to be her tonight!"

6 comments:

Caitlin said...

Another great chapter! Thank you for posting chapters so close together, I go through withdrawl after some time lol. Post even more soon!

Lauren said...

Another update so soon - I love it! :)

This was a great chapter - I can't wait to see the way Bekah will work her magic on calming him down...or they'll just end up in a fight and then they'll get to make up! Either way, I can't wait to see what you come up with!

CrosbysBabe87 said...

Hope she can calm him down when they get into the car.

Great chapter

More Soon!!

Val said...

I am with Lauren (shocking!) in the excitement about another update so soon...I can't wait to see how their night ends up...it might just need to end up with Sid getting over himself and his nervousness...he might need a little, ahem, relief!

Caitlin said...

I'm with Val.

I can't wait for the next chapter... ;)

gilld22 said...

I hope his temper does not get out of hand. Lily and Max - should be interesting.