Monday, January 28, 2013

Chapter 125

Sorry it has taken so long for an update, I just lost my inspiration for a while. But it's back and so is this story. Having said that, it has taken me forever to write this chapter and it is nowhere near where I intended to take this story but here goes nothing! I hope you enjoy, and as always...thank you for sticking with me!



"So...got big plans for tonight with that french hunk of yours?" Lily asked. "Maybe a french kiss at midnight?"
Lily was the only one Bekah had told about her new found relationship with Max and she hadn't had the chance to tell her about the events from the day before.
"Geez Lil, do you always have to be so crude? And no Max and I do not have plans tonight. I plan on going home, getting in my flannels and curling up on the couch with a glass of wine and George."
"Oh something different this year I see. For Christ sakes Bekah you are dating one of THE hottest guys in Pittsburgh and you're spending New Year's on the couch in your pajamas watching a movie you've seen five thousand times?"
"Max and I aren't actually dating anymore."
"Seriously?"
"Seriously. It was...well kind of a big misunderstanding. He's not really in love with me and I'm not in love with him. I'm just glad we both realized it before we got in too deep."
Lily pondered Bekah's revelation before saying, "Well...that's disappointing, but not surprising. You weren't ready to move on; still aren't if you ask me."
"Well I didn't ask you so I would appreciate you keeping your opinion to yourself."
"No need to get snippy hon, I just know you and I know how much you love the Kid. No way are you even remotely close to moving on let alone dating someone else."
"Yeah well, doesn't matter. Sidney and I do not have a future together; especially now so the sooner I move on the better."
"You guys are so head over heels in love with each other! If there were ever two people who were meant to be together it's you and Sidney. You are just both too stubborn to admit it. I can't believe you are still doing this should I or shouldn't I dance. Just get over yourself and tell him you want him back already."
"I can't do that. Besides, even If I wanted to I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen now. Sid found out about Max and I and took his anger out on Max's face."
"Shit. How did he find out?"
"I have no idea. Max swears he didn't tell him and no one else knew."
"Have you talked to him?"
"No."
"Are you going to?"
"No. At least if he's mad at me or hates me he can use that to help him move on."
"But you don't really want him to move on."
Bekah was beyond irritated with where this conversation was going. She knew what was in her heart, but she also knew in her head that their lives were just not compatible and that was not going to change anytime soon.
"It doesn't really matter what I want Lily, it's the way it has to be. It's what's best for everyone. My life has been in a complete tailspin since I met him. I'm acting like a love struck teenager which we both know is completely opposite of my personality; I'm making irrational decisions...like Max. I don't know what I'm doing anymore and I can't afford to act like this; it's not me. I don't even feel like the same person anymore Lily and I hate it! I want my old life back. I was comfortable and settled and..."
"And unhappy! So you've had to leave your comfort zone; well hallelujah it was about freaking time!I've never seen you happier and so full of life. I can't believe we're doing this again. It's the same shit as the first time! Do I really need to tell you why you should be with him...again?"
"No you don't because I listened to you once and look where it got me!" Bekah snapped.
Taking a deep breath and exhaling slowly, Bekah regained her composure.
"You know what would make me happy Lily? To get the hell out of here. I've been a mess since the day Sidney Crosby waltzed into my life and the only way to fix it and get him out of my system is a fresh start."
"Funny you should mention a fresh start Miss Jones, I was just coming to talk to you about that very thing."
The husky, southern drawl from behind her, made her jump.
"Dr. Everett, you startled me."
"Well I'm sorry darlin', that sure wasn't my intention. I was comin' to see you because there's something we need to chat about. Can you come to my office?"
Being summoned to the office of the head of the pediatric oncology department made a chill go up her spine. This could not be good.
"I have patients that need meds in a few minutes, I..."
"It wasn't really a request Miss Jones. Lily here can handle your patients, can't you darlin'?"
"Of course Dr. E," Lily all but swooned.

James Everett and his slow, sultry drawl, southern charm and piercing blue eyes had been the object of every female employee's fantasies since coming to the hospital two years ago from Dallas to head the Pediatric Oncology department. Everyone but Bekah.
From the day he arrived, James had sought Bekah out as the object of his infatuation. He was immediately attracted to her. He had asked her to dinner in an effort to charm her to get her to like him so when his confident, sometimes arrogant personality came out, she would be able to tell the others that beneath his rough exterior he really was a decent guy. He was demanding and arrogant and a no bullshit kinda guy, but he had to be to get where he was at such a young age. When she had politely declined, she became a challenge. And he loved a challenge! He did not graduate from medical school a year early, and after a residency at the most prestigious hospital in the country, become the youngest head of a department ever, without overcoming many impossible obstacles. After listening to her well rehearsed list of why she just didn't date for over a year, he took it as a personal insult when he found out she was dating Sidney. There was something to be said for pillow talk, (and he had hit many of the pillows of the nurses in the hospital). It is, after all how he got most of his information on Bekah, including her weaknesses which he couldn't wait to exploit.

"Have a seat Bekah," he said gesturing to the large comfortable chairs parked in front of his too large, overly pretentious desk.
"I'd rather stand thank you."
God he loved it when she was defiant!
"Fine," he said perching a long, muscular leg over the corner of his desk. "Look, I'll just cut right to the chase darlin'. A colleague and close personal friend of mine is opening a private care facility for children with cancer and their families. It will be relatively small compared to what you're used to here, but large enough to still be exciting and unpredictable work. It's going to focus on treating the whole patient, not just the disease, and the family as well because let's face it, you know as well as I do that the family suffers almost as much as the patient does. It will be family oriented, where they can stay with their children throughout treatment in a home-like environment so they don't feel so institutionalized. Obviously a facility like this will require the coordination of a number of services, from education to recreational programs to coordination of treatments. It's a huge undertaking not only because of the sheer enormity of the job but also because it will be the first facility of it's kind in the country."
"It sounds amazing, but why are you telling me this?"
"Because this friend needs someone to oversee all aspects of patient care, coordinate the entire program and he asked me if I knew anyone who could not only handle the responsibility but shared the vision he has for this facility. I gave him your name and he wants to meet with you; interview you for the position in two days time. And when I say interview, it is just a formality. The job is yours if you want it."
She was speechless; dumbfounded really, and regretting the choice not to take the chair previously offered to her. She was still trying to absorb everything he just said when that drawl snapped her back to reality.
"George will be here on the second to meet you. He will be able to explain his vision and why we think you will be the best fit to run the program. Bekah, I can assure you that this is an amazing opportunity for you. You will never again get a chance like this in your career. You'd be a fool to say no."
She was slowly regaining some of her faculties.
"And this facility is where?"
"In Dallas."
"So you expect me to uproot my life; my kids' lives and just move to Dallas?"
"If you pass this opportunity up you're a bigger fool than I took you for."
"What the hell is that supposed to mean?"
"C'mon girl, you and this Crosby kid? Did you think that was seriously going to work out?"
"How did you..."
"How did I know about the worst kept secret in the hospital? People talk darlin'. I've known about it for a while and I have to say, it's about time you came to your senses and ended things."
"You don't know the first thing about my relationship with Sidney, so don't sit there and judge something you know nothing about."
"I know it was never going anywhere. For Christ sake, he's just a kid!"
"Stop it!" she all but yelled. "My relationship with Sidney has nothing to do with this."
"It does if you're even thinking about turning down this chance because of him. I guarantee you will regret it for the rest of your life."
"Why are you worked up about this? My relationship is none of your business and neither is whether or not I take the job."
"Ah, that's where you're wrong darlin', it is my business. Not only is it my reputation on the line for recommending you, but my career as well."
"How?"
"I'm going to be the doctor heading the medical team at the facility. So you and I will be working quite closely. If you fail, I fail...and I don't fail."
"So you and I will be running the whole facility...together?"
"Yes siree bob. The best pediatric cancer facility in the country. If you're in, we leave in three weeks."
"THREE WEEKS!" Bekah shrieked.
"Well yeah. The facility won't be open for months yet, but we will have alot of work to do to get things in place. There is no precedent for this kind of program Bekah, we have a tremendous amount of work to do before we open."
"But I can't just uproot and move my kids across the country in three weeks."
"Does that mean you're considering it?" he asked hopefully.
Good question. Was she? Could she leave her life here behind? Pittsburgh was her second home. She had a life; a good life here. And Lily and Max and...
No! He is exactly why you told Lily not twenty minutes ago that you needed a fresh start. It's the only way you'll get away from him and everything that reminds you of him. It's the only way to get over him she told herself.
"Yes."
"Yes, you're considering it?"
Screw it! It's now or never.
"Yes, I'll go."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

NOOOO! She can't move! NOOOOO!!!

(But, YAAAAY! for an update!)

Anonymous said...

Update!! Yahoo... but you've thrown another twist in here and I'm sure all these pieces are going to tie in soon. I need her and Sid back together!!

Anonymous said...

Ahh I loved it!! I was waiting so patiently for this update and you did not disappoint! I am so excited to see what is going to happen next!

Anonymous said...

I was so glad to see the update, but I thought she was going to try and make things work with Sid.

I guess I was wrong, as she seems to be wanting to do anything but try and make things work - like move to Dallas!!!

I hope there is another update soon.