He hadn’t
slept; couldn’t. Every time he tried to close his eyes he was haunted by the
vision of his teammate’s lips on the woman he loved and it made him want to
throw up. He wasn’t even sure how he got home in the wee hours of the morning.
He didn’t remember anything except him kissing her and in just a few short
hours he was going to have to face him. He had no idea what he would do or say.
He didn’t even know how to feel. Was he angry? Hurt? Heartbroken? Numb. He
didn’t feel anything; he was numb. This
couldn’t last forever. Could it?
He made it
through practice with coach Therrien only screaming at him a few times to get his head
out of his ass and into what was happening on the ice. His only saving grace
was that Max was working with his line on the other end of the ice; although he
would have loved to drill his ass into the boards as hard as he could.
“CROSBY!
WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?” Coach’s intense voice shook him from his thoughts.
After a few more missed plays and a half-assed attempt at a goal the coach had
it.
“SID. HERE.
NOW.”
Sidney
skated over to the bench where the coach was waiting for him.
“I don’t
know where your head’s at today Sid but it sure as hell ain’t on the ice. “
“Sorry
Coach.”
“I don’t
want your apology I want your best. Can you give me that?”
He closed
his eyes and inhaled deeply. Never in a million years did he think he would be in
this position. At a point where he was so distracted he couldn’t even
concentrate on a practice. This is what she did to him.
“No coach, I
can’t.”
Coach was dumbfounded.
Even though he had been witness to Sidney’s lacklustre performance this
morning, he was sure this little reprimand would snap him out of it.
“Then hit
the showers. I don’t want you back on the ice until you can give me 100%. Got
it?”
“Yes sir.”
He gathered
his stuff and skated towards the tunnel. He was almost oblivious to the
whispers and stares from his teammates. Almost.
He punished
himself in the gym for an hour, then another on the bike. By the time he was
done in the showers the rest of the team was done with practice and their
meetings. He was fine until…
“You fucking
son of a bitch,” was all anyone heard before the punch was thrown and Max was
on the ground.
Max and
everyone else were so stunned that Sid got a few more good punches in before a
few of the guys managed to pull Sidney off of Max still swinging.
“What the
hell is wrong with you today Sid?”
“Why don’t
you ask the fucking scum bag who’s sleeping with my girlfriend!”
A deafening
silence fell over the room as a few of the guys helped Max to his feet and the
rest just starred.
“How long
asshole? How long have you been screwing around with her? What do have to say for yourself? Come on, I’d love to hear this,” Sid
shouted not giving Max a chance to say anything.
After a very
intense starring match Max finally spoke.“You seem to be forgetting one very important detail golden boy; Bekah is not your girlfriend anymore. That means she’s free to date whoever she wants and right now, that appears to be me. Sorry dude, but she’s moved on.”
Sid lunged
for Max once more but was stopped by a large, strong arm around him.
"Sidney, my
office. Now. Talbot I suggest you get your ass to the doc and then get out of
here,” was simply stated in the thick French accent of the head coach.
He did nothing further except follow the coach into his
office. Max and a few of the guys made a quick exit.
“Hey you
guys wanna go grab some lunch?” Max asked on their way across the parking lot
after 6 stitches and an ice pack?
Staalzy and
Bugsy looked at each other, then at Max.
“Are you
seriously banging Bekah Talbo?” Ryan asked.
“Hey don’t
talk about her like that.” Max snarled.
“I take that
as a yes. C’mon bro, there are unspoken rules about that shit; you know that.
You don’t bang another guys’ girl. Bro's before ho's and all that shit.”
“She’s not
his girl! He fucking blew it and I just so happened to be there to pick up the
pieces.”
“Even if
they did break up, she was his first and he’s clearly still in love with her.
It’s just not right” Jordan added.
“What are we
in seventh grade? We are all grown ups and can make our own decisions. If Bekah
chooses to be with me and not Sid, then so what?”
“But dude,” Ryan
started.
“Look, I’m
in love with her okay. I didn’t mean for it to happen but it did and I can’t
change it. She never screwed around on Sid. This only happened over Christmas;
she came home with me to get away from everything and I just couldn’t hold it
in anymore. I told her I loved her and asked if there was a chance she could
love me back. We’re giving it a try and I couldn’t be happier if either of you
care.”
Jordan and
Ryan eyed each other; both shocked by Max’s candid revelation.
“You realize
this could completely divide the team, not to mention fuck things up with you
and Sid forever right?” Jordan asked.
“And Bekah
could be the girl I spend the rest of my life with so…”
“What the
fuck happened to you Talbot? Screwing another guys’ girl, talking about
spending the rest of your life with her? Jesus Max this is not you. You’re a
player through and through so are you really doing this because you love her or
to get back at Sid?” Ryan asked.
“I do love
her Bugsy. Can we just drop this and get some food, I’m starving?”
"Just be careful here Talbo. Everyone knows how bad she had it for Sid. Do you honestly believe she can all of a sudden be in love with you? Just food for thought.""Wow, that's pretty deep coming from you Bugsy. I hear you okay, but you're just gonna have to trust me on this one."
"I just hope you know what you're doing because this is going to affect the whole team."
****************************************************
All Sid wanted to do after his ass reaming was go home and crawl into bed and never come out. He knew that by the time he reached Mario's he, and in turn Nat would have already heard about today. Neither of them would be pleased; in fact he was positive that he would have to endure not one, but two more ass reamings from his Pittsburgh parents.
"FUCK!" he said out loud to no one in particular as he was leaving the arena. Troy. He was sure it wouldn't take long for his dad to hear about his pathetic performance this morning. He was not looking forward to that phone call.
A friendly voice snapped him out of his thoughts.
"Hey bud, you wanna grab some lunch?"
"No thanks Army."
"Then do you want to talk about the show you put on back there?"
"Not really."
"Come on Sid, what the hell is happening to you?"
"I saw them," he stated only slightly above a whisper.
"Saw who?"
"Talbot and Bekah. I went to her house last night to try and talk to her. When she got home he was already there waiting. He came out of the house and they..."
He couldn't bring himself to say it out loud.
"They kissed Colbs. And not just a friendly kiss. I feel like such an idiot!"
"Why?"
"Why! I thought she loved me. How could she do that? How is she kissing someone else already? And not just anyone; Talbot! Best friend my ass! Guess I'm the idiot for believing that one."
"Come on Sid, anyone who saw you two together knows how much she loves you."
"Sure doesn't seem that way."
"Bekah and Talbot have always spent alot of time together...as friends. Did you ever think that maybe she's just so upset about the break up she's seeking comfort with Max?"
"By kissing him! I saw that kiss Colbs, that was not just someone being comforted."
"You and I both know how Talbo operates. Maybe he's taking advantage of the situation and she's just too heart broken to realize it."
"Thanks Army but that doesn't make me feel better. Bekah's way too smart to fall for that bullshit. If she was kissing him it was because she wanted to."
"Have you talked to her?"
"No, not since that night at the hospital when she ended things. She didn't even return any of my phone calls or messages over Christmas. Guess now I know why."
"Talk to her. Find out what's going on from the source; it's the only way you're ever going to get an peace."
"I'll never have any peace as long as she's with someone else; anyone else."
"Talk to her."
"How am I supposed to talk to her when she refuses to talk to me?"
Colby shook his head.
"Sidney, Sidney, Sidney, you disappoint me. You pulled off some crazy shit to get her, figure out how to get her to talk to you. Pull out all the stops if necessary. Now, let's eat cause I'm starving!"
2 comments:
OOOH thank you so much for updating! I was so happy to see this today.
I cant help but feel sorry for Sid - not that Bekha has done anything wrong...she was definitely a free agent - but the fact he feels so helpless and despondent. He feels betrayed by the two people he loved the most. And for his emotions to spill over into his "hockey life", well, that shows that Bekha was not some passing fling.
And as much as Max didnt do anything wrong either, I still think he should not have gone after Bekha. Or at least given more time before he started to pursue her. There does have to be some respect for the "Bro Code".
I still think Bekha has deep feelings for Sid - she just has to see that he has grown up and that he is willing to make her a priority.
I hope we see another update soon, as I would love to know what Bekha will think of Sid punching Max!!!
Couldn't agree more... I like how you are giving him some "fire in his bones"...he has to channel his passions toward her and win her back. (and I hope he can do that sooner than later with amazing romance! think chapter 101)
I think she knows who has her heart deep down but Max came in at a moment of weakness.
Looking forward to how you explore all these emotions!
Post a Comment