I opened one eye and looked at the time on the alarm clock. 8:01.
"For fuck sakes!" I mumbled getting out of bed and heading to the front door. "This had better be..."
"Good morning sunshine!" that cute little french accent exclaimed. "Ugh! Guess I woke you up huh? Sorry but the day is just wasting away. Here, I brought you coffee," he said shoving the cup into my hand.
"Max, it's 8 am. I don't have to work today, the Parkers are taking the boys to school and you wake me up at 8 in the morning? I'm going back to bed," I said putting my coffee cup down on the counter and going back to my room.
"Then I'm coming with you," Max said following me down the hall. "Wait. The kid isn't back there naked is he, cause that would gross me out!"
"Why, you see him naked all the time," I shot back as I climbed in bed and pulled the covers over my head hoping Max would go away. I felt the bed shift with his added weight and knew that I wasn't going to be able to avoid the conversation I was dreading much longer.
"You're lucky I didn't show up last night," he said chuckling. "But I figured you and the kid would be...occupied. So here I am and I'm dying here bijou! Don't keep me in suspense any longer. I have to know what you thought of Brittany."
I didn't answer right away.
"Helloooooooo?" he said putting his hands under the covers and trying to tickle me until I gave in.
"Max, stop! I can't breathe."
"Are you ready to talk?"
I pulled the covers off of my head and rolled over to face him. There was so much hope in his eyes; so much excitement. Ugh! I curse you bimbo, for putting me in this situation!
"You liked her right?"
"She seemed nice enough."
"Nice. That word is being used an awful lot lately."
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"That's what she said about you. You were nice. I had to drag her real feelings out of her."
"And that is...?" I asked sitting up, now intrigued by what the blond bitch thought of me.
"She didn't say anything bad; just that your interrogation was a little intense and she got the feeling that you didn't like her very much."
'Maybe she's not as dumb as I thought!'
"It's not that I didn't like her Max, I just...I just don't think she's the right girl for you." There, I said it.
"How can you say that? She's perfect for me!"
"I don't know, it's just a gut feeling."
"A gut feeling? Come on Beks, I know you better than that."
"Don't you find it a little odd that she was so interested in Sidney?"
"What?"
"Max, she talked to him all night! It's like we weren't even there. She wanted to know everything about him; and asking him if he had a girlfriend? Could she be any more obvious?"
"She was trying to get to know him, which is a lot more than I can say for you."
"She wasn't trying to get to know him, she's trying to get with him! I can't believe neither of you see it!"
"Neither of us? You told Sid about this?"
"Of course I did."
"Why are you doing this?"
"Doing what? I'm not doing anything! You asked me what I thought and I'm telling you."
"I knew it was too much to ask," Max said shaking his head.
"What?"
"For you to give Brittany a chance. For you to be happy for me. You just can't do it can you?"
"Max, if she really was who you thought she was, I'd be ecstatic that you found her; but she's not who you think she is. She has no interest in you. She wants my boyfriend and she's using you to get him. I'm sorry, but that's the truth."
He just stared at me shaking his head. The normally warm blue eyes looking back at me were now cold and had no feeling in them.
"You are unbelievable," he said quietly. "I thought you were my friend?"
"I am your friend Max. That's why I'm telling you this; so she doesn't hurt you down the road," I said putting my hand on his arm. He pulled it away, and I have to admit, I was a little surprised.
"You're the one hurting me Bekah. You are supposed to be my best friend. I finally find a girl that I like and you make up these...these lies about her? You promised you'd never lie to me. Why are you lying about this?"
"I'm not lying Max, I swear to you."
"I don't believe you. How do you get that she doesn't like me and is only using me to get to Sid from one dinner? I don't get it."
A tear rolled down his cheek which instantly triggered my own. It had never really occurred to me that Max wouldn't believe me. We had a strong enough relationship that I just assumed he'd trust me enough to believe me. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt him any more than I already had, but I loved him, and he deserved to know the truth.
"I didn't want to tell you this Max, but you have left me no choice. When I went to check on her in the bathroom, I overheard her on the phone. She was telling her friend, Gina I think her name was, how amazing Sidney was. She must have asked her about you because she said that you were great but she wasn't attracted to you. She had her eye on the prize and the prize was Sid. She said that you were just the means to an end and she wasn't going to stop until she got Sid. I'm so sorry Max, I know how much you liked her," I said reaching over to hug him.
"Don't," he said sharply putting both his hands on my arms. "I have to go," he said getting up of the bed.
I managed to get a hold of his hand. "Don't go Max. Stay. Let's talk about it; let me help you."
"I think you've done enough don't you?"
Max slipped his hand out of mine and went to the bedroom door. He turned around slowly and took a deep breath before speaking.
"I'm sorry Bekah. I hoped that this would work out better than it did. I really wanted my best friend and my girlfriend to get along, but clearly that's not going to happen. I love you Bekah, more than you probably know, but..." He closed his eyes and took another deep breath. "If you can't be supportive of my relationship with Brittany then..."
"Then what?" I asked with a trembling voice.
"Then I can't...I don't want to choose but... I just can't be around you anymore if you're going to be like this. Goodbye Bekah."
6 comments:
ah no!!!
max don't leave!
stupid bimbo, ruining everything!
Noooooo!! Max, you're thinking with the wrong head! Bekah would never lie to you like that!
I'm so heartbroken. Why can't Max see through that dumb tramp? Aww.
That was a great chapter!
UGH! Poor Bekah! I mean, I just can't believe Max would actually think Bekah would lie to him like that...
This is only going to end in heartbreak for Max =(
I just hope Bekah doesn't end up loosing both of them... = /
Love that you're updating so much now... I'm on the edge of my seat for the next one!
Of course, I agree with all of the above comments, and I must say that no good may come of this until Max sees the light, which might be awhile coming given his reaction to Bekah's truthful news!
why does no one believer her. I don't think that the bimbo is smart enough to pull this off for long so it'll just be a matter of time before she screws up and has her real intentions shown...I just hope that's before Beks relationships are killed
Men are so effin oblivious! I'm looking forward to the next update, and hoping that it is soon!!!!
Post a Comment