Saturday, May 23, 2009

Chapter 84

"Of course it's me! What's wrong with your phone? I've been trying to call you for two days!"
I took my cell out of my pocket only to find that it was dead. I guess after getting pissed off about not being able to reach him, I didn't give my phone a second thought. I'm sure the fact that I was relaxed and having a wonderful time enjoying my company the past two days didn't have anything to do with it.
"It's dead," I said coolly. "Didn't your mom give you my message about trying to call the hotel?"
"Yeah, but only this afternoon when I called her and when I tried the hotel, you had already checked out."
"What do you mean when you called her? I thought you were supposed to be there already?"
"I was but..." he let out a deep sigh. "You have no idea what I've been through the last few days."
"Enlighten me."
"It was great when I got here. Everyone was already here and we jumped right back into our ongoing game of pond hockey."
"Cause none of you get enough hockey?"
"Seriously, the game has been going on since we were all here playing junior. It never stops or starts over, we just keep score from the last time we played."
"And you were just soooo busy with the never ending game of pond hockey that you couldn't pick up the phone?"
"By the time I thought about it it was too late and by the time I got up the next morning you were already at work and then it hit."
"It hit? What hit?"
"The biggest freakin' snow storm ever in the history of Rimouski! The whole town was buried, hell half the province is buried! The snow is over most of the roofs. No one could leave their houses, there's been no electricity, no heat, no phone service, it's been a mess. They even had to call in the army reserves to dig everyone out!"
"Seriously? Are you guys okay?"
"Yeah we're all fine. Thank god for wood burning stoves! Tim's place has one in the living room, so we've all been camping out on the floor wearing every piece of clothing we own!"
I was beginning to soften my stance on the no phone call thing.
"Ahhh, you boys had a big ol' jammie party, how sweet!" I chuckled picturing 8 burly hockey boys camped out on the floor.
"Nice," Sid said. "I'm telling you about my trauma and you're making jokes.
"Oh I'm sorry was I supposed to be..."
My thought was cut short by someone in the background.
"Siddy, we have to get going soon if we're going to make it to the airport in time for our flight...oops sorry love," the voice giggled. "I didn't know you were on the phone. Kayla and I will wait in the car."
LOVE? OUR FLIGHT? KAYLA AND I? WHAT THE FUCK?
"Who was that and why did she call you love?" I snapped. "And why are you and her and some other girl going to the airport together?" I added without giving him a chance to answer the first two questions.
"Babe, relax..."
"Don't you call me babe!"
"Bekah, relax. Kayla and Shawna are friends. Actually, Kayla is Jonesy's girlfriend. They're from back home too. We were all stuck here. Jonesy had to go back to his team, and since we've been stuck here so long, the three of us are going back home together, that's all."
"That's all? Why didn't you tell be there were going to be girls on your boys bonding trip?"
"I didn't know. There had been talk that some of the guys were going to bring their girlfriends, but nobody ever confirmed. The guys couldn't get away without them. I guess their girlfriend's aren't as wonderful and understanding as mine is."
"Don't even try sucking up cause this wonderful girlfriend isn't as understanding as you think. How many girlfriends were there?"
"I don't know, five or so."
"And who's girlfriend is Shawna?"
"No one's," Sid answered cautiously. "She came with Kayla."
"And she's the one who called you love?"
"She's always done that. She calls everyone that. There is nothing to get upset about, it's just been all us friends hanging out again, catching up on what's new."
"So, did you tell all these old friends about your wonderful girlfriend?"
"No, not exactly. Sure these guys are some of my oldest friends, but some of the people I don't know all that well. I'm certainly not going to divulge personal information about me to them. Besides, we agreed not to tell anyone right?"
"Yep, sure did. Good thing too huh? I'm sure some of those girls were happy to know there was no girlfriend in the picture."
"It wasn't like that at all Bekah. I love you and you know it. That's all that matters."
"Not always," I mumbled.
"What was that?"
"Nothing."
"You're not really pissed off about this are you?"
"That depends."
"On what?"
"How many of the little snow bunnies did you have to keep warm?"
"None individually. At night we spent most of the time all huddle together. Nothing happened."
"Nothing?"
He was quiet for a minute and that pretty much told me everything I needed to know.
"Sidney Patrick Crosby, I asked you a question!" I yelled.
"Since I am being completely honest with you...Shawna kissed me, but it only happened once and after I told her I wasn't interested that was it."
BITCH! And now you are about to fly home with her? Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!
"And she just accepted that you weren't interested and that was that?"
"Well no, but I pushed her away when she tried to kiss me again and she got the hint."
I pondered this information for a minute.
"Where did she kiss you?"
"What? Uh... in the kitchen."
"Not where in the house, where on your body," I said through pursed lips.
"On the lips," he said quietly.
Why was I doing this to myself? Because I needed to know, that's why.
"Did you kiss her back?"
"I... What kind of question is that?"
"A very important one. Did you kiss her back?"
"I...don't...think...so, I don't really know."
"How do you not know? Her lips were on yours kissing you. Did you return the gesture?"
"I don't know," he started to yell back at me. "I guess at first until I clued in and then I stopped her. I didn't want to kiss her and I didn't want her to kiss me. I don't know what else you want me to say."
"I just want you to say whatever the truth is. We need to always be honest no matter what the consequences might be."
"That is the truth. Bekah, I don't want to to be kissing anyone but you. You believe me don't you?"
"How long has she had a thing for you?"
"Why are you asking all these questions?"
"Because I'm trying to understand what happened so I can make an informed decision. Why are you always answering my questions with a question? Just answer me."
"I don't know. I didn't even know she did. I've known her for like six years and she's never shown interest in me before. Not that I know of anyway."
"But now that you're the face of the NHL..." I trailed off. "What's that tell you?"
"I know what people are like Beks, that's why I'm careful. I would never have a casual thing like that to begin with. But I certainly wouldn't do it now with the most beautiful, amazing girlfriend waiting for me at home. You do believe that right?"
I was quiet before I answered.
"Yes, I do."
I could hear the sigh of relief come from the other end of the phone.
"But that doesn't mean I'm impressed that you didn't tell me what was going on."
"I know, I'm sorry. I didn't think it was that big of deal."
"Normally it wouldn't be except when some skanky bitch is trying to grope my boyfriend."
"Ahhh honey, are you finally showing signs of jealousy?"
"I'm not jealous. She would have to have something that I want in order for me to be jealous of her. I think it's the other way around don't you? Although it does burn my ass a little that she doesn't know I've got something she wants."
"Ah, it's so sweet how you refer to me like a piece of meat. I think I have a little tear."
"Shut up, you should be used to it by now. I just have one more request before this is over."
"Name it."
"She's either flying back to Nova Scotia by herself or you are telling her all about me on the flight home."
"If I can get another flight, I will, but if I can't, I will make sure nothing comes out of my mouth except wonderful things about you, I promise."
"Thank you."
"So you actually broke down and called my mom?"
"I was worried when I couldn't get in touch with you. I really wanted to talk to you before we left for Harrisburg."
"I am such an ass! How'd the munchkin do?"
"Tournament champions and he got MVP; 15 goals and 8 assists in 10 games. But don't tell him I told you, he's really excited about telling you himself."
"That is awesome! He's got to be ecstatic. Is he there?"
"He's having a bath."
"I'll make sure I'll call him when I get home."
"Yeah, I've heard that one before."
"That was totally uncalled for," he said pretending to be hurt. "So why did you want to talk to me before you left?"
UUUGGGHHHH!
"Well, in the spirit of honesty, I wanted to tell you that I asked Max to go with us...and he did."
The silence was deafening.
"Why?"
"Why did he go?"
"Why did you ask him?"
"Well, because I was mad and hurt that you made plans without telling me and I really wanted someone to go with me. I ran into Max and invited him over for dinner. Alex asked him to help him out with some pointers to improve his shot, since you weren't around and I just figured it would be good for Alex to have him there, and good for me too."
He took a deep breath before asking, "anything happen that I should know about?"
"No. The only thing that happened was there wasn't enough rooms, so we all stayed in the same room. Max and Jake slept in one bed, and Alex and I slept in the other one. Nothing happened. Max didn't even attempt anything inappropriate."
"I see," was his only response.
"I needed someone there with me Sid. I wanted it to be you but..."
"I wasn't around."
"Look, I get that you are not always going to be able to be here, but you have to understand that Max and I are becoming very close friends and it's nice to have someone that can be there when you can't. It doesn't mean he's replacing you in any way because no one will ever be able to do that, but I like having Max in my life and I really need you to be okay with it. And for the record, we talked about him trying to sleep with me to piss you off and I assure you, it's not an issue."
"I trust you Bekah," he practically whispered. "And if you want to be friends with Max, I'm okay with it; I don't understand it, but I'm okay with it. And thank you for wanting to tell me before it actually happened."
"I love you Sidney Crosby."
"I love you too Bekah, probably more than you will ever know."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww. yay they made up...for now..love the new chapter cant wait for another update..

o LETS GO PENS!!!

Val said...

Now that was a beautiful chapter - loved it all!

Anonymous said...

aw yay! it all worked out in the end :]

Caitlin said...

so sweet. update soon!

AA said...

awesome chapter!! can't wait to see what's next!

Lauren said...

Awww sweet! I can totally see some skanky girl coming on to Sid and him being clueless to the fact that she likes him :)

Caitlin said...

update soon!